Wedding lens

DoofClenas

Who needs a Mirror!
Real Name
Clint
Might be photographing a small (10 total people) family wedding and I’m contemplating picking up a new lens for it. I have the 12-40, and like it, but often find it’s a bit short. It’d be great if I could use primary lens like the 12-100 f4, but what about the P12-60 2.8-4. Is the panasonic lens weather sealed and how does it perform compared to the 12-100?

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
For such an intimate wedding I would expect that the 12-40 might be long enough.

Where is the wedding taking place (indoors, dimly lit church, outdoors, etc.)? How big is the venue and are there limitations on how close you can get to the action? Is it taking place at night or during the day or both? Are you expecting/ planning to use flash or other external lighting? Without knowing this type of information any advice I can provide would just be guessing or projecting.

- K

DoofClenas

Who needs a Mirror!
Real Name
Clint
For such an intimate wedding I would expect that the 12-40 might be long enough.

Where is the wedding taking place (indoors, dimly lit church, outdoors, etc.)? How big is the venue and are there limitations on how close you can get to the action? Is it taking place at night or during the day or both? Are you expecting/ planning to use flash or other external lighting? Without knowing this type of information any advice I can provide would just be guessing or projecting.

- K
Indoors, but it should be fairly well lit, as there’s a wall full of windows (at a vineyard, but we’re in northern Michigan and it’ll likely be cold and crummy outside. Having shot with the old 4/3 12-60 back with my e5, I always thought that was the perfect length lens for most occasions like this.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I don't have personal experience to share with either of the lenses you mentioned. I have experienced the 12-40 being "too short" at times, but never really indoors unless it was a big space.

I believe both the PanaLumix and the PanaLeica 12-60s are weather sealed, as is the 12-100 f4. I'd tend to limit my choices to the 12-40 or the PL12-60 2.8-4 for indoor work unless you're comfortable with a bit more noise.

- K

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
I bought the PL12-60 for parties etc and I am glad I made that choice. It has a couple of features that I like and go way beyond just the focal length. It is weather sealed. You can change the zoom range without having to adjust the focus. And it has an auto/manual switch for focusing. That's a killer feature when trying to take a properly focused shot of something or someone whilst surrounded by mobile phone swinging guests. The 60mm reach has proven useful. It gives the equivalent of a 32" TV screen at 2.5meters. That's good enough to fill the frame with a kid without being right on top of them firing away with a flash.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom