1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wedding lens dilemma

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Gyroscope, May 17, 2012.

1. Gyroscope

Gyroscope Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    SE London
    Here's the scenario:

You're going to a fairly informal wedding, as a guest.

You can't be bothered to carry the Oly 12-50mm, it's too bulky, so you have a choice of one of the Oly 12mm, 17mm pancake, or 45mm. Which one do you take, and why?

OK - at a push you can take two, one in your pocket. But there probably won't be much/any time for changing lenses.

Most photos will be "party" type images - individuals or groups from the waist up.

Thanks for your opinions.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Will the individuals be from waist up as well, or just the groups? If both, then the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 should cover you. You'll just have to get back a little further on the group shots. I would keep the m.Zuiko 12mm f/2 in your pocket though.

If you need full-body shots of the individuals, then the m.Zuiko 17mm pancake would probably be a better bet, and maybe keep the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 in your pocket for getting in tighter.

• Like Like x 1
  3. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    If given one choice, ill take the 45, I have a phone with a wide angle if I want to take wide angle shots.

Given two lenses, I'll take the 45 and pocket the 12.

In real life, ill take my 20 1.7.

• Like Like x 2
  4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I'd take the 17 and the 45. Slight wide and a slight tele seems like a decent mix. For one lens only, definitely the 17.

Then again I usually the paid guy.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gyroscope

Gyroscope Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    SE London
    Thanks guys. You're confirming my basic feelings.

Until today I was just going to take the kit zoom, but now feel it's too heavy, and it is highly likely* that there will be a lot of in-the-pub-no-flash shots, so faster=better.

* bride and groom are Kiwi and Irish respectively :smile:

6. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    leave the lens at home and take aspirin :rofl:

7. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    If you have the room to move back enough when needed, the 45mm for sure. If not, the 12mm for sure.

8. Pyro451

Pyro451 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    Steve
    I'm glad someone asked this.

I will be in a similar situation (maybe minus the pub) in June. Sounds like I should just bring the 45 as there should be plenty of room to step back at a reception hall. My only other option would be the PL25 and I don't want to bring both.

9. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    For shooting as a guest with one lens, stick with the closest thing to a normal, which in this case will be the 17mm for Gyro and 25mm for Pyro.

10. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    I'd take my 20 for that, I have in the past and it has worked out really well. The 17 or the 25 aren't too far off in terms of FL, so they should work out just as well (with the 25 being better and the 17 not quite as good for shooting in low light). If I were to bring 2 lenses, I might take the 45 for the ceremony and the 12 for after, as there will probably be time for that 1 lens change between the two.

11. Gyroscope

Gyroscope Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    SE London
    Sooooooo, it rapidly became obvious that the 45mm was wholly inappropriate. Nice shots, but I practically had to back into the next room to get reasonable groups shots. One emergency switch to the 17mm later and all was cool.

I realise I should have ignored the hype and bought a Panny 25mm - the 45mm doesn't suit my shooting style at all.

Anyhoos, thanks for all the advice. Now after the wedding ceremony it's on to the big "celebration" on the south coast on Saturday. 17mm fitted from the outset this time.

12. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    My personal attitude is that the 45 is strictly an outdoor lens. A wonderful lens that I love having my kit, but an outdoor lens all the same. It's just too long inside. The 20 or 25 are my low-light picks for tighter situations.

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    +1