1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Web sit for picture posting

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Will Karstens, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Will Karstens

Will Karstens Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2015
    southern california
    Will Karstens
    Hello Fellow Forum Members,

Currently, I post many pictures to flickr. While I enjoy the format, the response there seems to be a bit disingenuous. That is to say, most "like" and view is driven by auto response - which is fun, but doesn't seem to fit the bill of "How am I doing?" Is there a picture hosting website where there is honest feedback on photos? Not for the subject matter (neccesarily) but perhaps for the technical aspects - things such as framing, EV value use, ect. The intent is to garner honest views to become a better photographer. Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have.

Very respectfully,
    William Karstens

2. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    TBH, this forum has a very wide range of photographer with varying abilities and interests. Also, as forums go, it's a lot friendlier than most.
    Have you posted images to the relevant threads here?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I don't see Flickr as being a forum for photo critique. It is more a repository with some social aspects. For critique, a forum like this one, or countless others, would work better.

I agree with Michael, above. Post some here, there are some great photographers with lots of knowledge. They are usually happy to weigh in. I have learned a great deal here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Will Karstens

Sep 24, 2015
    southern california
    Will Karstens
    Perhaps I need to dig a little more; but I haven't see much response in a critique sense in the area's I've poked around.

Very respectfully,
    William Karstens

5. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    If you ask, people will oblige. Otherwise we just think you are sharing your work for us to see.

6. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    You might try searching out some of the more active Flickr groups and see if there are any for critique or if not one specifically for that an active group where you can start a discussion thread for critiquing.

7. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Most people are sharing pictures they like themselves, and the fun threads are where there is a theme, e.g. planes, boats, trains, trees etc etc etc.

Where people ask for critique, many are happy to give it. It you're especially interested in this aspect why not start a thread specifically looking for critique, inviting others to share their own shots where they also want critique? Seriously, people love to share ideas but sometimes need to be asked.

8. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    That thread exists

9. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Doh! Thought I'd seen one but when I went looking I couldn't find it. Got my glasses on now! Thanks!

10. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    No problem.

Although, it might be better to start a thread for each image you want critiqued. That way there isn't confusion on replies.

11. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    Flickr's oldest critique group. A lot of honest feedback. Has a small core group of commenters but many join in. [ link removed ]

Oops. Linked to wrong group. Should be this one: Photography Critique | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  12. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
  13. Will Karstens

Sep 24, 2015
    southern california
    Will Karstens
    (Belated) Thankyou!

• Like Like x 1
  14. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Not a flickr fan as I've posted before. There are other, better sites out there for your photos.

15. Will Karstens

Sep 24, 2015
    southern california
    Will Karstens
    Sir, I must have missed the post where you mentioned some of these sites.

Very respectfully,
    William

16. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Well, I don't use them myself but prefer the presentation to that of fickr.

zenfolio, smugmug (except for the cookies), pbase, artistwebsites to name a few. There are many more...

17. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have in the past only used Flickr to post pictures on the web. However, I have started to follow some people on this site and will be using Flickr more in 2016.

18. Will Karstens

Sep 24, 2015
    southern california
    Will Karstens
    Sir,

Realizing you don't use them: what site do you find:
    1) The most visually appealing?
    2) With the best - feed back - from other photographers?

Thank you for the insight!

Very respectfully,
    William

• Like Like x 1
  19. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    No idea as this feature is of no interest to me. The presentation at zenfolio is right up there IMHO

• Like Like x 1
  20. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    Had you read the content of the OP, not just the title, you would understand why the feature that is of no interest to you is the sole interest of this thread.