Weatherproof

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by britops, Apr 13, 2013.

1. britops

britops Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Why would Olympus release new lenses that aren't weatherproof? 75-300mm Mk2 ??

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The 75-300mm is a standard grade, not a high grade lens.

3. migs

migs Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    RVA
    because it keeps their costs low. not everyone has weather sealed cameras to boot. rain covers can be sourced on the cheap. are just a few reasons.

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 - pretty well covers it.

5. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
    There is probably a venn diagram in here - micro four thirds market / olympus buyers / weather proof body owners / owners that need weather sealing / weather proof lens buyers

Which would lead to a pretty small number

Although the argument can be made that weather sealing would promote more foul-weather shooting but I doubt that hold true.

I'm guessing Olympus has teams of statisticians and marketing folk pouring over EXIF data from online-photo-sharing sites looking for lens make/model/focal length to help decide what to release next and where the gaps are in their line-up.

6. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

While I don't usually shoot in foul weather, I like the fact that the camera is somewhat protected, and it's one of the reasons I bought the 12-50 along with it. However, Olympus should release a WR version of (at least) the 40-150 so people can buy a reasonably priced kit.

Pentax has a good set up with several of their "kit" lenses water resistant, along with the higher grade lenses. It's a good marketing point if nothing else.

7. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    I do wish the 75-300 was weather sealed... would have made the decision between Oly 75-300 and Pany 100-300 much easier.

While I certainly understand the economics of the decision, it would be nice to have a super telephoto like this weather sealed, as it just seems more likely that you will be more likely to be exposed to a risk of sudden bad weather or splashes shooting with a lens that has more reach than with a wide, since nearly 100% of the time it will be used outside (unless you are in a domed stadium or something).

8. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I would use my storm jacket regardless of weather sealing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.