Weatherproof

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by britops, Apr 13, 2013.

1. britops

britops Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Why would Olympus release new lenses that aren't weatherproof? 75-300mm Mk2 ??

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The 75-300mm is a standard grade, not a high grade lens.

3. migs

migs Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    RVA
    because it keeps their costs low. not everyone has weather sealed cameras to boot. rain covers can be sourced on the cheap. are just a few reasons.

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 - pretty well covers it.

5. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    There is probably a venn diagram in here - micro four thirds market / olympus buyers / weather proof body owners / owners that need weather sealing / weather proof lens buyers

Which would lead to a pretty small number

Although the argument can be made that weather sealing would promote more foul-weather shooting but I doubt that hold true.

I'm guessing Olympus has teams of statisticians and marketing folk pouring over EXIF data from online-photo-sharing sites looking for lens make/model/focal length to help decide what to release next and where the gaps are in their line-up.

6. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

While I don't usually shoot in foul weather, I like the fact that the camera is somewhat protected, and it's one of the reasons I bought the 12-50 along with it. However, Olympus should release a WR version of (at least) the 40-150 so people can buy a reasonably priced kit.

Pentax has a good set up with several of their "kit" lenses water resistant, along with the higher grade lenses. It's a good marketing point if nothing else.

7. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    I do wish the 75-300 was weather sealed... would have made the decision between Oly 75-300 and Pany 100-300 much easier.

While I certainly understand the economics of the decision, it would be nice to have a super telephoto like this weather sealed, as it just seems more likely that you will be more likely to be exposed to a risk of sudden bad weather or splashes shooting with a lens that has more reach than with a wide, since nearly 100% of the time it will be used outside (unless you are in a domed stadium or something).

8. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I would use my storm jacket regardless of weather sealing.