weather sealing

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by geesbert, Jan 25, 2014.

1. geesbert

geesbert Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 24, 2014
    as the weather sealed lenses are quite rare at the moment, I wonder: if a non weather sealed lens is used, will water distroy both lens and E-M1 or should the E-M1 be safe? loosing a 20mm is not as painful as loosing both...
  2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The system is as strong as it's weakest link; a bit of slight moisture won't destroy a non-weather sealed body, you just need to exercise good common sense.
  3. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    A weather sealed lens has a rubber ring at the lens mount to keep water out of the camera. Without you are risking water going into the body that way.

It's one thing for oly to make weather sealed bodies, it's another that they have no sealed m43 primes.
  4. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    For weather sealing to work, both body and lens must be sealed, or else the dust/moisture can enter in the join between body and lens.

Edit: Incidentally, it is not correct that there are no weather sealed primes: the 60mm f/2.8 is weather sealed.
  5. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Lucky me. I have the Zuiko 60mm f/2.8 macro. But I have no weather-sealed micro four-thirds bodies. I'd certainly love an E-M1 but it's a pricey beast and it's almost the same size as my Pentax K-5 and K-30, which are weather sealed. But I would like at least one micro four-thirds body with WR along with one or two WR lenses.

But it seems a crime to buy the E-M1 without the 12-40mm lens - which I definitely cannot swing at this time. That makes picking up a leftover E-M5 with 12-50mm WR lens more attractive. Most people seem convinced that the E-M10 won't have WR, but I've seen nothing to confirm this. I suppose I'd go for an E-M10 if it turns out to have WR since it apparently will also have the EVF and image-processing engine from the E-M1.

Weather sealing probably isn't a 100 percent must-have for me but it can be very handy. Dust resistance is every bit as important as moisture resistance.
  6. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    I personally think the lack of 5 axis ibis makes the em10 much less attractive.

I shoot the 12-50 when I need weather sealing with my em5. The 12-40 is nice. And if it where f2 or f1.8 like the sigma art zoom is I would have already got one. But f2.8... Nice but not enough for me to just jump for a 1k lens.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk