Weather sealing of GH-3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by lotech, Jul 1, 2014.

1. lotech

lotech New to Mu-43

Jul 1, 2014
    Hi there,

I am new here, I am from the 'film era' also shot APS-C DSLR, I enjoy outdoor activities and will shot no matter the weather, so I need a weather seal/water resist camera. To keep my load light I am looking into the mu4/3, looks like GH-3 is the one to start with.
    Does anyone actually used it in the rain, any issue ? I welcome your comment, thanks !
  2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Not Weather Sealed.

The GH3 is not "weather sealed" - officially it is "splash resistant". The IPX rating it has is actually one level higher than the Oly body. The body is resistant to very light moisture, but definitely not out in the pouring rain. Still I know of several people who have been out in very heavy rain and did not sustain any damage. The splash resistant attribute only applies when the body is used with a lens with the same rating (12-35 & 35-100)
  3. lotech

lotech New to Mu-43

Jul 1, 2014
    Thanks, if it is one level higher than the oly then it is more than just splash resist.
  4. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I think they go with splash resistant instead of "sealed" to limit liability
  5. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    I've shot GH3 in rainy conditions, so far so good.
  6. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    I use my GH3, 12-35, 35-100 in the rain a lot. I carry several micro fiber cloths to wipe it down. No problems.
  7. TucsonLawrence

TucsonLawrence Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2013
    Lawrence Richards
    I've taken my GH3 out in a couple of downpours, on the Canadian Hornblower by Niagra falls and behind the falls themselves-- using the Oly 12-50... it has never skipped a beat. I also got it pretty darned wet from an ocean wave (that freaked me a bit) I gave it a good misting with fresh water and wipedown and both were no worse for wear as far as I could tell.

I understand it isn't "waterproof" - but mine has sure taken more than just a drop or two of water and has done quite well so far. YMMV

8. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I can comment on the E-M5 and E-M1 when used and carried completely exposed in heavy rain for an extended period (> one hour): they are completely waterproof - no issues at all when used with the Panasonic 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8.
  9. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oly has an IPX2 rating which is defined as, "Vertically dripping water shall have no harmful effect when the enclosure is tilted at an angle up to 15° from its normal position." The GH3 & GH4 have the same rating. GH4's manual now clearly speaks about it. Short version of long explanation explains it is not a guarantee against getting water damage. I've also had it out in rain, but it is something that is often misunderstood.