Weather sealing - Is it really such a big deal?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Bidkev, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Is it worth the extra price? Obviously those who've spent on it will say yes, but personally, apart from freezing conditions, I've taken my kit out in driving rain/humidity/sand storm/ wind blown surf, with nothing but a hole cut in a poly bag used as a camera rain hood with only the lens protruding. In fact pro rain hoods are relatively cheap so why so much emphasis on weather sealed bodies and lenses? It seems more prevalent amongst the m43 fraternity? In fact, I'd rather trust the weather sealing of a camera enclosed in a plastic bag than any manufacturer's claims. The battery covers alone give me the reason to doubt the claims

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. I suppose if I lived in or often spent a lot of time in a region in which weather was a constant challenge, like a desert or rainforest, it would be worth not having to deal with plastic bags and such.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Mountain

Mountain Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 2, 2013
    Colorado
    I personally think that it's a nice to have, but not a necessity (at least where I live/travel). I've shot non-weather sealed gear (esp the GX-1, 100-300i, 7-14/4, sigma 19mm, 12-32) in all sorts of inclement conditions without any issue. I enjoy the extra insurance of having some seals on there on some of my gear (GX8, O60, O12-40, P100-400), but I don't rely on them. If, however, having a sealed assembly is what gets you out shooting, then it's worth it. All the fanciest kit in the world is worthless IMHO unless you're willing to take it out to the most interesting places, and nasty weather can make for great photos.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. I live in Australia and encounter both, particularly rainforest..............plastic bags and a rubber band have saved me heaps of cash particularly in my full frame and apsc era :) Of course, it could be argued that the lenses with weather sealing are generally considered to have better IQ so is that what folk are paying for and the weather sealing is a bonus? Would anyone choose a lens just to get weather sealing if it had lower IQ than a similar lens without?

5. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    yes, for some of us it is. Those camera condoms are a liability when crawling thru the woods/swamp/forest because they catch on everything (which can cause them to tear) and make unnecessary noise. The also get in the way of controls and are overall just a hassle to try and use for anything other than shooting some static scene from a tripod. They are also completely useless when you drop your camera into the swamp water and sinks 2 feet before you can get it out.

obviously those that make these types of statements have never really tried to use one for any type of serious wildlife photography.

again another statement from someone who hasn't spent a significant amount of time in inclement weather where they need to get the photograph because that is how they make their living. those rain hoods/bags/condoms are nothing but a hassle and only really useful if shooting static stuff from a tripod. all they do is get in the way and make things a lot more difficult.

Shooting wildlife from a kayak I need quick access to the camera and the fastest place for access is the floor of the kayak. Those bags would be useless for this because water would just enter the ends while it's laying on the floor of the kayak.

27493678059_2882034371_k.
    EM1 w/ 300mm f4.0
    by Phocal Art, on Flickr

All of those bags have this stupid long end that is designed for you to put your hand thru. It would just cause all kinds of problems while trying to crawl forward in this situation because it would be dragging in the water. Would also have been completely useless when the camera fell over into the water.

28524462934_7626ba408c_k.
    EM1 w/ ZD 50-200 SWD
    by Phocal Art, on Flickr

Those who shoot Fuji have to since their good fast primes are not weather sealed. Good friend of mine complains about this all the time, as well as to having to buy both because he needs the faster lens for most of his work (wedding and event photographer) but at times needs weather sealed also.

• Winner x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Wow x 1
  6. Me? no. I was not a big fan of my Olympus 12-50 (first kit lens), other than the fact that it did 12mm and 0.36x magnification. The Panasonic 12-60 f/3.5-5.6 and Olympus 14-150 f/4-5.6 II are equally meh in my view.

7. Mountain

Aug 2, 2013
    Colorado
    And counterpoint:
    _DSC1060 (1)_compressed.

That thing floating next to me (shallow spot in the canyon bottom, so I got a break from swimming) is my camera bag with two non-weather sealed lenses. Weather sealing would have been nice to have (my camera was absolutely covered in sand, etc from handling.) but the P7-14 isn't sealed, and I wanted pictures....

Edit: Freezing conditions w/o weatherproofing:
    P1200664_stitch_DxO_compressed.
    P1120573_compressed.

Wildlife from a kayak with the non-sealed 100-300i:
    37084861385_405f1624c2_b. Hoatzin

Agreed, that it is nice to have, though.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  8. Thanks for your comprehensive response but you have absolutely no idea how I used to make a living and you seem to have turned a simple questioning thread into a personal tirade. And yes, I have shot from a kayak and I have never laid my camera on the deck. When not in use, it was sat on a mount adapted from/to a rod mount. As for "cameras fell over into the water" my question was with regards to WEATHER proofing.............get real..............the majority of people that choose it are most likely those who simply have to deal with weather and nothing more. To add, if you think this kind of weatherproofing is only for tripods, camera controls can't be accessed, and that it is detrimental to stalking wildlife, then I really question your narrow mindedness and your actual skill in stalking. Enuff said. I should have known where this thread would be dragged to. A slimmed down hood similar to this allows full access to all camera controls, on or off tripod

s-l1600.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    "Oh, you make me laugh, sad clown." :rofl:

quote said by Sheldon Cooper in Season 7, Episode 2 of The Big Bang Theory

• Sad Sad x 2
  10. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    so now you are an expert on what the majority of people who buy weather sealed gear use it for? I think it's time for you to "get real"

LOL, because I disagree with you I am on a personal tirade? I am now :biggrin:

now I am really laughing.....................I didn't' say they couldn't be accessed, I said they interfere with access and can cause you to miss shots. Come join me anytime and we can test our stalking abilities. We can even play a game like I did in the military and stalk each other. fyi I rarely ever lost at that game.

11. Mountain

Aug 2, 2013
    Colorado
    Come on man, you of all people know the site's TOS with regard to personal attacks

• Agree Agree x 10
  12. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    I don't consider it a personal attack to say someone makes me laugh. I guess I should have put it in quotes and stated where I got the saying from, will go back and fix that pronto...............

13. Snowonuluru

Snowonuluru Mu-43 All-Pro

Funny how sometimes people can view a carefully crafted view point based on personal experience as a tirade. Different experience exists, different opinions also exist. And I am sure different habits persist.

World is big. Live and let live. Peace and love brothers.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. longviewer

longviewer Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 22, 2015
    SW Washington (Longview area)
    Jim R
    I just picked up a Pentax body again for weather seals and IBIS. Would have loved to stay :mu43: entirely but K50 and wr188-55 cost me $250; even a well used EM5+12-50 cannot hit that price point. The dreaded 'aperture block' common to second tier PK bodies has been fixed on this.

And yes it's off-color, an interesting matte olive/black combo that goes well with my mod 70s plaid strap :confused::p:cool:

15. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    not saying you have to have it but the risk are much much greater and I am sure after 3 or 4 claims on my insurance for drowned non-sealed gear they would either drop me or increase my rates significantly. My rates tripled after I turned in a claim for my 2nd 1D (which also included a claim for my 500/4), so in the long run I save money going with weather sealed only. They have only now started to come down into the reasonable price range since I switched to Olympus and have no claims in 5 years.

Freezing conditions really have nothing to do with weather sealing. That is about the quality of the components inside the camera and their ability to handle either high heat or extreme cold, and electronics tend to prefer the cold over the heat.

From the kayak is possible (I have done it) but the access to the gear is not nearly as fast and the risk is significantly increased. If I only did it once in awhile it would be one thing but since I spend considerable time in a kayak or the swamp, it is a wise insurance investment to have gear designed for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. And your response affirms what others warned me about via pm when I first came to this forum. Like I said, your initial response to a simple question seemed like a personal tirade against me personally and no doubt was used as a vehicle intended to illustrate how great an outdoor photographer that you consider yourself to be. I trust that fair minded members will likely be well assured that judging from your above response, and previous response to me in similar vein in another thread, that I am correct in assuming that I was well forewarned.....................hang on in there pal................you may come to (truly) like yourself eventually, but I doubt it until such time as you re-evaluate your attitude to others

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Mountain

Aug 2, 2013
    Colorado
    I agree. But all of those things are what makes it a "nice to have" to me and not an absolute necessity. People seemed worried about getting their camera gear out in a sprinkle or for a onetime trip to a rainforest, and frankly they need not worry. With regard to freezing, for some reason they always market the two together.

18. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    rest assured I don't need to use you to illustrate how great of an outdoor photographer I am, my photographs do that for me.

Oh, I very much truly like myself and who I am and my attitude towards others is perfectly fine and needs no re-evaluating....................

FYI, you can always place me on ignore if you don't like it when I disagree with your opinions.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    Yes they do because they tend to put them both in the "Pro" level lenses and cameras. While you can find weather sealing in non-pro lenses the temperature stuff is typically reserved for more expensive lenses since they have to use different electronic components which cost more to produce and have a much lower yield. When I worked for Halliburton they actually found out it was cheaper to use the lesser quality components and weed out the ones that couldn't handling it during testing (before the tools were built and shipped). The failure rate was pretty high but evidently it was still cheaper than paying the price for the much more expensive components that could handle the temperatures. Then again the tools were for our own use, so didn't have a buying public to keep happy. Based on the failure rates I saw at Halliburton I would assume that cameras/lenses use the proper components since there is a buying public that needs to be satisfied.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    Thanks but I am going to have to say that that is a personal attack.......not that it really bothers me.

Edit - it is also my attitude and "ginormous douchebag"ism that has gotten me to where I am and kept me alive on a number of occasions. I make no apologies for who I am

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.