Weather Sealed Primes?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by bbarnett51, Jun 1, 2016.

1. bbarnett51

bbarnett51 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2015
    Strong rumor that there is a 25mm PRO prime ready to be released this year. I'm thinking faster and HOPEFULLY weather sealed. I love the Oly primes but as a wildlife/landscape photographer I need water sealed lenses.
    If Olympus starts cranking out Pro primes, I'm going that route!!!!! Fingers crossed
  2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yes, a weather-sealed fast prime is the biggest oversight in the M4/3 lens line-up, aside from a compact ultrawide prime like a 10mm/f2.8.

I wish that instead of being a big, expensive PRO lens it could just be a simple cheap-and-cheerful option with a more moderate f1.8 or f2 aperture, but we get what we get. The new 35/f2 WR and its pricetag is one the greatest strengths of the Fuji line-up.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    I would love to have Olympus introduce PRO 17mm. An aperture ring would be nice as well.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    There's three already, Oly 8mm FE, 60mm 2.8 and 300mm f4. But I think it is strange that Panny and Oly has ignored wr primes. It shouldn't be that hard to make, since most of them have fixed front element and only moving part externally is the manual focus ring.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    You forgot the best weather sealed prime the 4/3 ZD 150mm ƒ2.0 :yahoo: But I guess it is really only a viable option if you shoot an EM1 :jedi:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    The upcoming 25mm and a 17mm would be perfect along with a weather sealed version of the 75mm.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    Do we know for sure that there will be a 17mm?
  8. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Nope, all we know is there will be a 25mm
  9. longviewer

longviewer Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2015
    SW Washington (Longview area)
    Jim R
    Even Pentax lacks WR primes (other than the DA* 55) and they get lots of press for their rugged outdoorsy gear. Sealing primes just does not get much attention at board meetings anywhere :blush:
    • Like Like x 2
  10. grcolts

grcolts Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    In total agreement! :)
  11. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    I hate this waiting.
    I really want 3 lenses, and 25mm is on the top.
    I might not be able to wait until 25mm pro (and that might be bloody expensive).
    Anyone got any tips when in GAS? Argh!!!
  12. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I never buy a compromise lens, ends up just being a waste of money. I just wait for it to be released (if it's a new one on the horizon) or save until I can afford it (if it's available but expensive)
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  13. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    The 100mm Macro is WR.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    First just accept that, even if it's on a temporary basis, "I can't have it"

Then learn the limitations of the equipment you already have and use those limitations as a jumping off point to creative solutions.

All situations are temporary.

15. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

I, too, would love a 17 F1.8 (or better) weather sealed. though, honestly, just a weather sealed version of the current 17 F1.8 would keep me happy...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    The 60 mm macro is WR prime. At least dust and splash proof, which Olympus mentions several times in the description. The 12-40 has freeze, dust, and drip protection which sounds better.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  17. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    I hate kit zooms with a passion, and lean more toward primes than zooms these days...HOWEVER...the Oly 12-50 kit lens is a spectacular piece of kit...if they can pack a weathersealed zoom into such a compact and light package, I can't imagine why they couldn't seal a bunch of other lenses...the 12 f2...can't be that hard to seal, the 75...should have been sealed, etc...great lenses, but one of the hallmarks of pro gear for years has been weathersealing, and Olympus has missed out on TONS of sales because of their lack of sealed primes...(I know, because I talk to fellow shooters who stay with Nikon/Canon because of the lack of weathersealed options elsewhere).
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    The new Panasonic 12/1.4 is sealed
    • Like Like x 1
  19. b-red

b-red Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 9, 2016
    I fully agree with you!
    The same lens 17mm f1.8 and same weight, but weather sealed.

It is a great lens for outdoor photography.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Bit of a thread necro, but I can attest tot he weather sealing of the 12-40 - I took it to Songkran in Thailand when I first purchased my E-M1 and 12-40, I did a write up on it, it was even featured.

• Like Like x 1