Weather Sealed Flash

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by dav1dz, Nov 24, 2012.

1. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    According to the Olympus press release that the bundled Olympus FL-LM2 Electronic Flash is also weather sealed (dust and splash proof construction).

I take this to mean that the accessory port (AP2) itself is weather sealed? Why else would the FL-LM2 be weather sealed right?

Is there a more powerful flash either from Olympus or a 3rd party that supports TTL and is weather sealed? Is there one but not compatible with Micro Four Thirds TTL?
  2. Vincen77o

Vincen77o Mu-43 Regular

Nov 3, 2012
    St. Albans, Herts
    I assume you're being a tad sarcastic. A bit like the 100% waterproof motorcycle boots (apart from the hole you put your foot in). I use an old Nikon SB-25 as it's manual settings are fully controllable and you can pick them up cheap.
  3. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    No not being sarcastic at all. Sorry if I came across that way.

My question is fairly valid is it not?

1. If the accessory port is weather sealed, I would like to take that cover off and leave it off rather than losing it one day due to mounting the flash in a hurry, then spending $ to replace it. Finding a replacement a few years from now could be a problem.

Then again, if the port is not sealed, it would be good to know?

2. Having a stronger flash would be nice. I would rather not carry two flashes, one weather sealed and one not, if I can avoid it.
  4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Good lord no, the accessory port is not sealed. The cover and LM2 flash both have rings to protect the port from water. I've heard of at least one case where the camera sustained water damage through the accessory port, which was not covered by warranty.