1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Weather-Resistant Panny Lenses, Camera?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Biro, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I thought the GH2 was expensive.....this thing will be through the roof.

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Would be another "complaint" they could tick off as addressed, like AF speed (with the introduction of the GH2), sensor (with the G3), portrait prime (45/1.8, 25/1.4), bright zooms (with these lenses) ...

They are working pretty hard to eliminate people's excuses for not buying a m43 camera, and it makes a helluva lot more sense to mount a high quality, weather sealed lens on a non-weather-sealed body (a simple bag with a hole in it, rubber banded to the lens will weather-proof the body - much more difficult to rig up something that will weather proof a lens and not interfere with IQ).

That said, everything they add to these lenses is sure to drive up the price. I hope people are prepared to drop $2000 on a very high IQ, f/2, weather sealed native m43 lens. I am.

4. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    bring it on Panasonic.

FWIW, I don't think there's a big price premium on weather-sealed bodies or lenses - just look at Pentax.

5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I'll bet Panasonic puts a premium on it.

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    As Panasonic continues it's acceleration away from Olympus....First in sensor tech, now in bodies....

Are autofocus & ergonomics the only things keeping Olympus in the competition with Panasonic?

7. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Premium

I suspect that if Panasonic does capture more of the Mu43 market, it will as promised diversify into pro/enthusiast aimed Micro's to run along with the consumer models, the premium ones will cost more but not to the extent they are overpriced or people will not buy.

I would suspect a lot of the cost associated with such cameras can be recouped by a sensible profit margin and the extra revenue from the consumer based models selling in quantity.

It is a time where Panasonic are starting to show some support for the enthusiasts and to overprice will be a negative action and drive people to the likes of Sony etc - I also suspect that the GX1 is more of a stop gap to keep the enthusiasts happy and as intimated, next year we will see a much better and more capable Pro/enthusiast model to supprt the weather sealed fast lenses due shortly.

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'm not sure I understand your question here. One could argue quite effectively that the AF has just now caught up with Panny, and that the SCP was to come even with Panny's Q.Menu system.

I would present that Olympus has been the "form over function" player in hardware, software, and even JPG image rendition.

This is where the marketing guys have trouble. There is a segment of the market that will buy these lenses, and even into the system itself, BECAUSE these lenses are expensive, and therefore perceived as high quality or "pro" or whatever. I also think many people would have to agree that even a super expensive choice in native mount is better than no native option at all.

IF these lenses are constant f/2, weather sealed, and has IQ commensurate with the high price, I think this product release will be up there with the intial release of the PEN series, and turn the whole photography world on its ear.

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Okay so then you're saying the only thing Olympus has over Panasonic is SOOC JPG rendition & form?

10. Wes7

Wes7 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2011
    Lesotho
    If this is true, I am putting my money that the weather-sealed body (or at least the first weather sealed body) will be the GH3. It just makes sense.

11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, pretty much, although they have made strides in the current generation to draw closer. I also would not necessarily say Oly SOOC JPG is better, but it is different and some people will like it more than the Panny (after all, that's what Olympus did all the research in was how to make the same image elicit a more emotional response)

Am I wrong?

12. Happy to pay a bit more for weatherproofing (10-20%?). These days, lenses are as electronic as a camera body, and these will be a substantial investment regardless. Sure, there is no weatherproof body (yet), but the chances of water entering the lens via the body are slim....and probably fatal anyway if that level of water is involved!
    One interesting point: if these zooms are weatherproof, perhaps they won't be extending lenses? That would be very nice, given the mock-up sizes. Much nicer to carry ready for action if they don't double in physical length!

13. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Possibly but not necessary....

Pentax DA*16-50 F2.8 is weather sealed but extends when zoomed.

DA* 50-135 F2.8 is also weather sealed but doesn't extend.

The DA*16-50 does have a point in zooming where there's some increased resistance. I suspect that's the weather sealing.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yahooooooo..finally some light at the end of the tunnel. I hate running for shelters here in Melbourne while shooting with my EPL2. I would love to have a weather sealed Pen body and lenses . This will take MFT format to the next level.
    Thanks.

15. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Ah, I think the issue with an unsealed body is more water/moisture entering the body itself, rather than getting through to the lens :wink:

If you want a sealed kit, you need both...

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I only shoot in RAW with my E-PL2 so I can't say one way or the other. But I do however like the new Panasonic GX1 :smile:

17. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The mock ups were internal zooming