weather proofing - helpful for cold weather?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by krugorg, Feb 9, 2012.

1. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I do a bit of cross country skiing and snowshoeing, mostly in sub-freezing temperatures. Sometimes a bit of snow and I have dealt with this so far by keeping the camera under my jacket and using a hood (out and back in the jacket pretty quickly). Also, I try to do the bag thing for transition from cold to indoors.

I am curious if the Olympus E-M5 weather proofing would also be helpful for condensation moving from cold to warm environments? It seems like this would be asking a lot, or would require a higher level of sealing (waterproof vs. splash proof)?

2. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Well according to the specification from Olympus on it's weather sealing:

Temperature: 32 ~ +104 (operation) / -4 ~ +140 (storage) Farhenheit
    Humidity: 30 - 90% (operation) / 10 - 90% (storage)

Operational at the freezing point of water.

I'd assume it would work past 32F, and over 104F- it's just what they guarantee it to work at, well at least that's what I think they mean by it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I wouldn't count on it protecting against condensation. The camera isn't going to be air tight, so if you're going into an environment where moisture could condense on the outside of the camera I think there's still a risk of condensation on the inside, too. Possibly less condensation, but probably not zero risk.

That said, I've gone from subfreezing temps into warm indoor rooms, and vice-versa, with non-weather sealed cameras and not had any issues.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It "helps". Technically it's not going to eliminate condensation inside the camera, but it will still help. Even ignoring the condensation factor though, don't you want weather sealing just for the snow alone? Whether it's actually snowing or you drop it in the snow, isn't this a big factor as well?

Not only that, but even kept out of the snow in cold weather there is always a lot of moisture in the air and your camera will become very wet from the outside even before you bring it indoors. Plus, when you do bring it indoors most of the moisture will still condense on the outside of the camera, and this condensation will not leak in.

All in all, weather sealing is simply a good idea in cold climes. Take it from a Canadian in the frozen north. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    will the EM-5 be ok on a -39 weather here in winnipeg?. i hope so..

6. FYI, I left my E-PL1 outside for 24 hours during a hoar frost (long story which involved good whisky). When I remembered where I left it it was covered in about 1/4 " of ice. Removed the battery and lens, left them in a warm dry spot for 12 hours.......no problems 18 months on. Actually, I think ice and snow is not too big a deal, it's not usually humid when you have those conditions. True tropical humidity typically takes a real toll on electronics over time.

7. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I don't think it'll help much against condensation, as there's always going to be atmospheric moisture inside the camera - it would be pretty much impossible to eliminate this... I know I often got condensation inside my ZD 12-60 SWD when mounted on my E-3, when I was putting it through extreme temperature changes. Both of them are heavily sealed.

As Ned says though - the sealing is still going to be very handy for snowy conditions - with my E-3 I was happy to leave it sitting in snow for a while when we where having a break from hiking (although this won't be great for battery life...)