Weather disruptions and worse

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by BBW, Oct 26, 2010.

1. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

There's been a tsunami in Indonesia and now I have just heard that a volcano has also erupted in Sumatra. I am not 100% sure where all of our members or readers come from. If you or anyone you know is effected by this, please know that even though this is a photography forum, we are a community, and we do want to know.

Here in the USA, I've just heard that Chicago, Illinois is being beaten by terrible storm. They say it is worse than the one in 1975 that sunk the Edmund Fitzgerald. See this story: Chicago Storm May Beat 1975 Gale That Doomed Edmund Fitzgerald - Bloomberg

Please use this thread to update for these events and for any other that impact you or any of our members.

2. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    Speaking of Indonesia, here's a shot I took on my way back from work yesterday. The taxi driver got pretty close to my place then refused to go any further because of the flooding. I took this one through the window of the taxi while we were still moving. Sorry about the quality, I shrunk it to make the upload easier on my slow connection.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  3. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    BBW, is the Great Lakes shipping season still in flow, and if so has there been sufficient warning that ships can seek shelter or remain in port?

I've been aware for some time of the moving tribute to this disaster by Gordon Lightfoot, a favourite singer of mine.

Barrie

4. BBW

ill_dawg, no apologies needed for that photo! Wow - and riding a motorcycle in that?! Please take care of yourself.

Barrie, I don't know much about shipping but I'd guess it's still in full swing. I really need to read up more about the big storm hitting Chicago. It will be on the television news tonight, I'd expect. I know we have some Chicagoians (is that a word?) here and maybe if they're online this will catch their eye as well as our other members in Indonesia's, too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I live in Thunder Bay, Ontario which is located at the north west corner of Lake Superior. Today's storm was quite strong and they are saying that it was the second strongest storm ever recorded on Lake Superior (the storm that caused the Edmond Fitzgerald to sink was the 5th). :eek:

Today I was driving along the lake shore and saw that quite a few people were at the marina parked in their cars watching the storm. I decided to join them and took a few shots of the waves crashing over the break wall, which I've actually never seen happen with that kind of fury before. There was a bit of wind damage and the power went out in certain areas around the city, but fortunately nothing really serious. It's still stormy outside as I'm writing this, but it's supposed to clear up by the end of tomorrow.

P.S. The first picture shows you what our harbour looks on a clear day :smile:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  6. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Hi,
    Thanks for posting those. The ships pictured there look like the regular ocean going vessels that I might see here in the English Channel, where as my vision was of classic Great Lakers which, whilst large, are not designed for the rigours of an Atlantic crossing for example. Have these types superseded the older designs?

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  7. BBW

Walt, thanks for your eyewitness report and the photos. I'm glad you didn't lose power yourself and that the forecast sounds as though today things should be much, much calmer!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
  9. BBW

Scary. Tornadoes make me very nervous. Hope all is OK with you, Jason?

10. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Luckily, yes. We had 3 warnings in 2 hours locally. I have some friends who had some house damage but nothing major. It was pretty scary yesterday.

• Like Like x 1
  11. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada

Actually, its possible for both "lakers" and "salties" to be in our port. We are basically at the far end of the St. Lawrence Seaway and smaller ocean going vessels can technically access our port, while lakers can access the ocean. Here's an interesting article from Wikipedia that gives good info.:smile:

Lake freighter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Like Like x 2
  12. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    "salties", fantastic expression, love it :smile: . Your modern lakers look much more like the bulk carriers that ply in the oceanic trade which is a sad trend, modern ships have much less character than older designs.
    The idea that at least one laker was attacked by a U boat certainly dispels my idea that they were confined to the lakes by virtue of their design.
    Many thanks for the link, I've book marked that page to read later at my leisure. I grew up in a village on the edge of the port of Plymouth, there were reputedly over 30 former ships captains living in retirement in that village which might in part explain my livelong interest in the sea and shipping.

Barrie

• Like Like x 2