Wear & Tear

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by cacadepollo, Nov 25, 2015.

1. cacadepollo

cacadepollo Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2015
    Forgive me if this sounds like a ridiculous inquiry, but does your gear show much wear & tear? Before I bought my gh4 10 months ago, I used to keep all my Canon gear pretty clean and as mint as possible, just in case I might want to sell it off some day, which is exactly what I did. But this gh4, which is my first M43 experience, has been so easy and light to carry around, that I told myself to not be afraid to abuse it, and not worry about the cosmetic blemishes - i forced myself to just use the hell out of it. Anyways, I think I'm kind of proud of the wear & tear. I wanted to show you guys how it looks, but I'm high right now, and I'm too lazy to go take some pics, but I'll do it as soon as I'm a little more clear-headed. I just wanted to post this so I don't forget this thought.

Anyways, does your gear have any wear & tear?
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    The lens hood on my 12-40mm is pretty scratched up, but everything else is in excellent condition.

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mostly worn black paint around corners on bodies. Some small dings in plastic on lenses/hoods/caps.
  4. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    IIRC, back in the old film days, the worn paint on the corners, knobs, and lenses used to be considered a status symbol of a pro, who used their cameras so much that they looked like it, vs. an amateur, who didn't use (or abuse) it as much and kept it in pristine condition. Patina. You've got patina. :)
  5. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    I've had my E-M10 for about 20 months. It looks pretty close to mint but I don't take any better care than I did with my Canon FD system, which looked well cared for but had brass showing everywhere. Then again, I don't shoot quite the same subject matter I used to, so that accounts for some of the preservation. That may change when the 300mm f4 shows up.
  6. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2015
    I've always kept my gear in good shape. When I sold off all my 70s-era film gear this year, the only things that really showed wear were the cases (the faux leather all cracked and peeling). There were a few dings here and there but not even any brassing.

It's not like it needs lot of maintenance, just kept in bags or cases when not in use.
  7. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

My E-M10 looks about as new as it did when I got it.
  8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    My cameras are tools and I use them as such. I don't abuse them but if they start getting rub marks - it happens.

I do have a nice scrape on the side of my EM1 LCD. It was for a good cause, though. I was shooting some bridal portraits, and she was coming out this door. Giant nail in the brick wall she was walking toward. No time to yell and tell her to stop, so I jumped by her and grabbed the dress away from the wall. My EM1 swung and scraped the bricks. Oh, well...at least there is a good story to go along with it! :D
    • Like Like x 3
  9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    My E-M5 and E-PM2 look pretty beat up - much more than I'd expect given the amount of use I've gotten from them. I'm somewhat disappointed as my previous consumer-grade cameras - an Olympus E-420 and a Nikon D70 - fared far better despite heavier use.
  10. profgregorio

profgregorio Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    Manila, Philippines
    I have managed to keep my two previous M43 cameras (a Lumix G3 and then a G5) in excellent condition and thus been able to sell them used at fairly good prices. I now have a Lumix G7 and just like the first two, it seems to show very little signs of wear and tear, if any. None of my Lumix cameras have ever shown signs of rubber peeling off, scratches on the LCD, or paint chipping or wearing out (except for the serial number on the G7). I guess it shows that Panasonic has really learned how to make long-lasting consumer durables.