We need tethered/remote shooting for mu-43!

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
There's a remote controller based on a hacked nintendo ds out there on the net. I'm using iPhone at the moment, but you should easily find it with Google.

Cheers

Brian

GaryCh

Mu-43 Regular
There's a remote controller based on a hacked nintendo ds out there on the net. I'm using iPhone at the moment, but you should easily find it with Google.
Just looking now, and it appears it only allows you to fire the shutter.

Tearing apart a remote shutter release cable that you can press with your thumb - to make a remote shutter release you can press with your stylus seems a little odd.

But hey, it uses a hacked DS, and that's geek flavour of the month!

But it is also rather overengineered... To interface to the DS they use an AVR Microcontroller to do simple edge-detection on a signal line when this can be done using simple glue-logic for way less money, space and effort.

Q. How many computers does it take to close a switch
A. Well, two apparently.

Strikes me they could drop the DS completely, here's why...

With JUST the microcontroller + 2x16 backlit alphanumeric display + a few microswitches would get you a slim and self-contained shutter release that was smaller than the DS and which you could program with a finger for any situation WITHOUT a computer... Set up timelapsing, set up custom bursts, have fine bulb control, fine bulb control + custom timers for time-lapsing dark scenes such as animal burrows etc.

IE, a small, battery friendly, professional quality, digital shutter release.

Add a jack for a remote trip and you can photograph animals leaving a burrow, the device would use the preprogrammed AF time, burst number, burst interval, etc.

And, by pressing the switch manually you still have a regular shutter release... except that pressing the mode switch will show you the exposure counts AND double as a local clock.

No hacked DS in sight!

Now THAT would be an end user friendly bit of field kit to have. And because of the serial IO on the microcontroller, you would be able to extend that release to your netbook and place it under GUI control too, where it could companion with Eye-Fi using software designed to operate both together.

ooh, ooh ... and in the settings you could flick through various camera models making the digital shutter release pretty much universal, as long as you had the appropriate cable/adapter for your cameras remote shutter connector.

Ingredients :
1 x PIC, AVR, BASICStamp or some other cheap microcontroller of choice
1 x cheap 2x16 backlit (blue is cool) LCD module
5 x Microswitches (mode/set, up, down, focus and shutter)
1 x Slim ABS enclosure suitable for handheld remotes
1 x Jack socket for the SR cable

Optional:
1 x Jack for your own tripwire release (IR, Microswitch, reed switch, etc)
1 x serial connector for extending control to a netbook (and for flashing the microcontroller)

And you'd STILL be able to use this with a composite cable from the G1 to have your netbook fire off automatic shots on motion detection etc.

It sounds complicated, but it is actually pretty damned simple really. I've been playing with microcontrollers my whole life and they just lend themselves to LCD controllers, process control and sensing/switching jobs so well. Battery life is huge because they can be made to sleep until a timer event or button press wakes them to do a job.

-Gary

hmpws

Mu-43 Regular
That was going to be my next project - play around with microprocessor and remote triggering haha, still haven't gotten round to find 2.5mm 4-pole jack to plug into my GF-1 though :(

GaryCh

Mu-43 Regular
That was going to be my next project - play around with microprocessor and remote triggering haha, still haven't gotten round to find 2.5" 4-pole jack to plug into my GF-1 though :(
CPC/Farnell have them... I suggest this one as the right-angle jacks present less mechanical risk to the body. There are others though, take your pick.

EDIT LOL... Just realised... 2.5", wow, no wonder they're hard to find, 2.5mm is more normal *grin*. You must have one of those early 'prototype' bodies :rofl:

-Gary

Bokeh Diem

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Triggering is one thing, but...

I am very interested in tethered viewing and control, on a large remote screen.

I do not have ANY electronic technical capabilities, so much of this discussion is way beyond my ken. But if we are into developing peripherals I would suggest we do it so that it can be done economically, even if it means selling the manufactured devices in order to recoup costs. Hence the idea about a business plan and a core group of individuals who are interested in putting a project in place, all the way to completion.

hmpws... got any manufacturing contacts in Singapore who will offer us intellectual and all other copyrights on manufacture?

Bokeh D

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Gary, thanks for that - you make it sound so simple. Do you have any examples of similar projects you've done in the past?

Cheers

Brian

Bokeh Diem

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I just got this in the mail in response to a pointed question sent out two weeks ago.... :mad:

"Thank you for your email.

"The Panasonic camera will not support the SDK function (Interconnection between the camera and the laptop) and there are no plans for it in the future from Panasonic.

"The only thing you could use is the the remote shutter model DMW-RSL1 and a tripod to avoid any kind of shake.

"Sincerely,
Panasonic Canada Inc.
Customer Care Centre
SM"

:rofl: :mad: :rofl:

sprinke

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Debi
Bringing this topic back from the graveyard ... anyone found any new solutions for tethered shooting and m43 cameras?

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
Bringing this topic back from the graveyard ... anyone found any new solutions for tethered shooting and m43 cameras?

AFAIK, this is NOT possible. The required usb 'command' mode is NOT activated and/or implemented into the cameras firmware. And (at least from Olympus) this is purely marketing, as Olys' DSLRs can be remote-controlled by a usb command tether (and as we all know, Olys' :43: cameras are almost an e-620 shoehorned into a flat body). Just another devious way of splitting your user base between different consumer markets.

The only hope would be a firmware hack which might unlock this feature, provided (and this is a big 'IF') the relevant routines are there but somehow dormant and simply deactivated.

The other limited solution is to use an eye-fi card.

Sorry for the bad news,

Cheers,

Latest threads

Top Bottom