1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

we need more echidna pictures!

Discussion in 'Nature' started by ghetto, Nov 22, 2012.

1. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

I took this a few weeks ago, didn't think of posting them till now.

Oh for those who don't have these around them. They're basically like a procupine & ant eater. They eat ants, in the first picture his nose is dug into the ground eating. Those are large spikes on this back. They wadlle fairly slowly are are fairly dosile creatures.

echidna1_scaled.

echidna5_scaled.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Cool shots! They aren't very common around here (or they keep well out of sight). I've only seen one in the wild around here about 5 times in the last 40 years. I've always found it fascinating that only they and the platypus are egg laying mammals :smile:

3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Ahhhh echidnas :smile: Ours are hairier than yours

4. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

show pictures or it's not true :tongue:

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Love it!
    Are they shy of humans :confused:

6. Mr Moo

Mr Moo Rocket builder, collector of vintage air guitars

Sep 17, 2012
    SE Virginia
    Mike
    Interesting creature. Nice images, thanks for posting. :thumbup:

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Sorry, we don't have these in our neighborhood - cool shots though! :cool:

8. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Unfortunately I appear to only have one echidna photo uploaded and it's from mid-north Western Australia, so not one of our hairy Tasmanian models :smile:

4807534712_6a4f15e08c_z.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

They aren't shy as such, mostly they tend to ignore humans and cars (which is why the poor things tend to get run over crossing roads).

This is a link to a short Australian Broadcasting Corporation video showing that you might find more informative than my failing memory.

Echidna - native animal of south east NSW - ABC South East NSW - Australian Broadcasting Corporation

And sorry to the original posters, I apologize for interrupting your thread. I have been looking for the couple of photos I have but without luck so far :redface:

10. Paul Amyes

Paul Amyes Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Hobart, Tasmania
    You want Echidnas?

Here you go. Shot was taken at Dryandra in Western Australia.

• Like Like x 4
  11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Nice Doo.

12. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
  13. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    Soooo competitive ... :biggrin:

14. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

Ahh yes, I like to refer to them as natures all natural organic self deploying spike strips.

No worries, take your time searching, the kitty thread has been running quite a while, we gotta try and give them some competition. (honestly I'm surprised anyone else had pictures! woohoo!) :cool:

15. Paul Amyes

Paul Amyes Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Hobart, Tasmania
    Extra kudos for an echidna puggle shot so lets see some.

I suppose we could open it up to other monotremes, although we don't have platypuses (platypi?) here in WA. If that is too restrictive then I suppose we can fall back on marsupials in general.

16. dennisk

dennisk Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Dennis
    who says this forum is only to learn about 4/3rd and camera stuff! :2thumbs:

17. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Do they taste like hedgehog, or more like Kiwi?

18. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Chicken

19. Paul Amyes

Paul Amyes Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Hobart, Tasmania
    From what I remember hedgehog was very nondescript in taste. Us white fellas aren't allowed to eat 'em and I don't know any Nyoongar (local indigenous people group where I live) that do. They prefer kangaroo which when cooked slowly tastes a bit like venison.

20. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's just because they have to make up for being the smallest state & also not being part of the mainland. :wink:

But, back to the original post, I love the photo. :thumbup: They don't show themselves much around here either. I remember years (decades) ago picking one up near Bermagui (down the south coast of NSW) with thick ski gloves, before it could bury itself in the ground. They are so cute! I think we got a photo before putting it down again (on slide film somewhere buried) & then it scurried back off into the bush.