1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

We need an intervention...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by comment23, May 18, 2019.

1. comment23

comment23 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    Simon
    Micro Four Nerds on the prickly subject of why “Gear Doesn’t Matter”.

I thought this was one of the best pieces of its kind that I’ve seen. No bias either way, despite the vlogs name, just well articulated views backed up with loads of excellent evidence.

• Agree x 8
    • Like x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Appreciate x 2
    • Informative x 1
  2. Jeffcs

Jeffcs Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 20, 2017
    Toms River NJ
    She’s spot on

• Like Like x 1
  3. StephenB

StephenB Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 29, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Steve
    I enjoyed that presentation. By coincidence I was only thinking (always dangerous:) ) earlier about how impressive the technical detail is in some of the photographs I shoot, which is down to lenses, the camera body and some post processing - but they rarely tick a box for me as far as art or emotion is concerned, and that's the thing I want to capture, sometimes luck plays a part and I get lucky, other times I think I've shot well and the reactions to the shots are often tepid. The beauty of being a photography hobbyist though is you can do it for yourself.

• Like Like x 2
  4. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Spot on. Take the images shot in the depression with far less capable equipment than even a low level M43 camera today and ask yourself why do they have riveting content and artistic perspective. Those you can't buy.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  5. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 16, 2017
    Spotty. On re the above posts (not to mention Alfred S.) but off for trying to capture water droplets, BIF, sports, etc. Photography is a large area, tho maybe not the "Total Art" envisioned by the Germans in 1900 or whenever.

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    One of the points she makes is something I considered when I sold off all my Nikon FX gear. We have come SO far in the 15 years I've been using DSLRs and many of my favorite shots where from 6-12mp cameras that I tried not to above 1600 ISO and only went above 3200 when I had to.

Now? Not great, but not bad for 25600 from the E-M10 mkI I use to have (cropped, not other processing)
    PC200121.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

The only real difference in IQ between sensor sizes (or maybe even generations) is max output size. If you aren't happy with the IQ, then you are just viewing it too large. Back in the film era, this was understood. 110 film would not be output at the 16x24 like a medium format frame would be. And yet in the digital age, we view cell phone images, m4/3 and FF all on the same huge monitor (bigger than most ever print) at 100% and then complain that smaller sensors look worse.

(incidentally most phone users view their phone pictures on a smaller device and are VERY happy with the quality).

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 16, 2017
    The real differences in IQ between sensor sizes include max output size, DoF, noise at low light levels, and DR. Sometimes diffraction too.

9. speedy

speedy Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 27, 2015
    Yeah, people seem to have forgotten how to look at a picture/photo as a whole. Instead, they obsess over postage stamp sized portions of it. Digital photography seems to have made this worse.
    In saying that, even at 6x4 print sizes, one could tell a difference in output between my sister's SLR shots, and my 35mm compact camera. It just didn't seem to matter though. Probably because the interwebz wasn't invented at that time :) 

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. ektar

ektar Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Western NC
    Don
    I thought she was brilliant.

11. fader

fader Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 20, 2016
    Intermittent Globe Trotter
    Isaac
    A good half of DSLR camera operators are misplaced sports addicts and/or baseball card collectors. Substitute lenses for players and camera types for teams and then a person can begin to visualize how the whole mess works.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. What a wonderful little video!
    Thanks for sharing Simon!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  13. Macroramphosis

Macroramphosis Mu-43 Veteran

I'm confused as to how advertising agencies can plaster an iPhone photo across 15' feet of brickwork and they look just fine while mine look shit at A4 size. Are they doing something with magic sprinkle dust I have no access to? I've printed some big stuff in my time but there is no way the photos my iPhone produces would stand up to that printing output.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. fader

fader Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 20, 2016
    Isaac
    ad printers have their own wizardry that gets applied to this stuff. a lot has to do with the quality of the print ink and how it matches with the chosen substrate to retain sharpness and clarity. there's a range of techniques employed and 40 dpi is the norm (my camera defaults to 300 dpi for reference).

see this link for an inkling (hardy har!) of an idea of how they achieve this. Banner Printing Techniques EXPLAINED

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Macroramphosis

Macroramphosis Mu-43 Veteran

That's an interesting read, thanks Isaac!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  16. fader

fader Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 20, 2016
    Isaac
    One of the chips in my career log was doing IT for the ordering site at a label printer. we did UV resistant, wine labels, banners, buttons, you name it. It was interesting to see how complicated the print industry is and the learning curve is steep. Our biggest task was this very complicated program to generate quotes for the 100x100 matrix of product options. Even in the US there are only a handful of companies left, and they get most of their customer from B2B relationships through various retail outlets and online sites. Vector graphics has a whole set of other problems compared to something like ad and photo printing. Controlling the bleed and getting those crisp lines requires very expensive and high-maintenance equipment.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

Easy. 15' from far away is smaller in terms of angular resolution than a4 up close. If you ever get close to a banner, they have giant pixels.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.