We lost our good boy tonight

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Tek was a rescue. Early on in life he developed an invasive lipoma that took his entire back leg because his first owners didn't address it in time. He did well on three legs for a long while. Eventually another mass grew on his remaining back foot. We caught it early and he recovered, using that sole back foot to walk on while it healed. A year or so later he tore an ACL in that same leg. He fought and overcame, again using that sole leg while it healed. Last year a third tumor grew on his gums, and we caught that in time. Around Christmas he started having trouble and went through a UTI, but never really recovered. During a visit to the Vet today he was diagnosed with advanced cancer. His quality of life had been in severe decline over the last few months, so we made the decision. Tek was 13.

The whole family was there. As he was going to sleep I asked out loud why we keep putting ourselves through these painful separations. My son answered "Because the only thing worse than this would be the last 10 years without him." I think he's right.

RIP buddy, you deserve it. Your life was one medical issue after another, but you fought hard and won until it was too much. You will be missed.

49148733342_2ecac53158_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P1047338 by telecast, on Flickr

Mu-43 Legend
I’m so sorry to hear. My collie passed away about 14 months ago. I’m literally trolling rescue sites right now as I miss her. I came across one site that says “a dog will give you the best years of your life and the single worst day.”

peace to you and yours.

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
So sorry to hear. Our dog is approaching 14 and I know the day is not too distant when the decision will need to be made, just as with the last three dogs. I've known the pain, too, but I can't imagine not re-upping with another dog.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Very sorry for your loss. Our furry family members do have a way of getting into our hearts, for better and for worse. And your son's answer is the correct one. They are words well spoken.

--Ken

Apollo T.

Mu-43 Top Veteran
@Brownie
I’m so sorry for your family’s loss and pain.
I know how badly I felt at times like this.
He gave you his best years; you gave him his best years.

jhawk1000

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mel
We lost two of our friends, both dachshund rescues, within 2 months of each other. They had been with us for 7 years on one and 16 on another. It was like losing a valued and much-loved family member so I feel your pain. But we also came to the conclusion that the pain of loss was very real, the joy of having them was even greater. I miss them daily and think about them but the pain is lessened and the memories are becoming more sweet each day. So very sorry for your loss and you have my deepest sympathy.

golftango

Mu-43 Regular
So sorry for your loss. We have had to make this decision four times in the last two years. I understand your hurt.

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
Our pet loss has been real as well, we understand why you reached out to this community; we felt the need to express our grief. Our thoughts and feelings for you go out to you.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
I'm so very sorry for your loss of Tek. Losing a beloved dog (like losing my boy Harley, in my avatar) is incredibly painful. One of the greatest losses we can suffer in this world. My heart goes out to you, for I know exactly how you are feeling right now. He blessed your family with 10 years of his life and you will be forever grateful for that time with him. Time will soften the pain, but Tek will always hold a place in your heart that will never be lost. May God bless you and Tek.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Thanks to everyone for your responses. Tek is the latest in a line of sled dogs that goes back a ways for me. We still have Boomer. Other most recent were Taz and Daffy. Boomer was rescued to fill a void for Daffy when Taz passed, and Tek was rescued when Daffy passed. Boomer is still seemingly healthy at 11. There were more before them, there have been very few periods in my life when there hasn't been at least one dog in the house, usually two, and sometimes three.

It's too soon at this point to be thinking about another, and as I get older I am weighing the pros and cons. Time will tell.

Cheers.

Latest threads

Top Bottom