We lost our good boy tonight

Tywais

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mike
Adding my condolences also. We lost our Golden Retriever (Jedi) 7 years ago and the emotional pain was so bad, cried like a baby. He's in my avatar.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
@Brownie My condolences mate. I've gone through it several times and always said, "never again" but I'm meaning it this time. My old mate is 15 and just in the space of a week his legs have gone when he always seemed to be as fit as a 4yr old. He doesn't appear to be in any pain, eats well, but can't get up off a tiled floor without help and his legs seem to slide from under him unless he's on a carpet. Only a week ago he could jump on the bed or sofa but now he can't. Like I say, he seems alright in himself except for a sad look of frustration when he can't get up, and he even asks to go for a walk, but the dilemma is just when do I make that call? :hmmm::(
Full sympathy form me Kevin. It's always a bitter pill when we start to see the obvious.

When to make the call? We try to base it on quality of life. Does he still have a good life? We had to sling Tek up and down stairs to go outside for the last few month, but other than that he could move around up until the end, still enjoyed play time and time with the grandkids although much less active, and was eating a functioning fairly well. Once a pet gets beyond that, I think we as responsible owners have to make the hard decision. I have seen people keep a pet well longer than they should have because they can't bear the thought, but that's for their own benefit, not their pet's. The absolute worst is to have a pet who is still bright and alert, but is failing physically. That's where we found ourselves. Still, a few days after and we know in our hearts we did the right thing.

Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure it will be correct.

billca

Mu-43 Regular
@Brownie My condolences mate. I've gone through it several times and always said, "never again" but I'm meaning it this time. My old mate is 15 and just in the space of a week his legs have gone when he always seemed to be as fit as a 4yr old. He doesn't appear to be in any pain, eats well, but can't get up off a tiled floor without help and his legs seem to slide from under him unless he's on a carpet. Only a week ago he could jump on the bed or sofa but now he can't. Like I say, he seems alright in himself except for a sad look of frustration when he can't get up, and he even asks to go for a walk, but the dilemma is just when do I make that call? :hmmm::(
Keep an I on it. Similar happened to my dog when she was 13. Flying around then suddenly trouble with her back legs. Turned out to be a stroke.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
Full sympathy form me Kevin. It's always a bitter pill when we start to see the obvious.

When to make the call? We try to base it on quality of life. Does he still have a good life?
He doesn't appear to be in pain, eats well, and still asks to go out, but he seems to have gone (fairly fast) rather senile for want of a better word. Almost as if he doesn't know what he wants to do next. Prior to this episode with his legs, he just used to wander around, stop, seem to go into thought, and then wander around again. never seemed to rest properly except at night time. Sometimes he'd just walk in circles on the spot, not getting anywhere. He would spend the whole day more or less on his feet. All this in the last 2 months with his legs going this week. Strange thing is that he still wants to go for his evening walk, and seems ok outside but literally more or less falls over when he comes back indoors? As long as he's not in pain and eating well, I guess it's his call that he wants to hang on.

ouldsmobile

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Kevin
So sorry for your loss. Tek looked like a great companion.

One of the hardest days in life(as a pet owner), is this day, the day you have to make that choice. My best advice to anyone going through this, after I went through it a few years back with my beloved GSD, Parker, is to tell stories about him/her to anyone who will listen, whether they are funny stories, amazing things they did, those crazy "one-time" stories, etc. It will help immensely. It's coming up on 3 years for me, and while we did get another dog(a rescue, not sure what he is, "heinz 57"), my wife and I still tell stories about Parker all the time. I am sure the same will be true once the rescue has to cross the bridge.

Real Name
Curt Schimmels
What a good boy Tek is (always will be) and what a wonderful home you gave him. He will be in your hearts forever, and there will come a time that every time you think of him, you will smile. For the moment, my condolences. For the long term, you are blessed to have Tek in your life.

Real Name
Dave Cherry
So very sorry. We lost our beloved Aussie, Rider, just about a month ago. Spleen cancer at only eight years old. The vets kept telling us he had arthritis or indigestion. When they finally figured it out, it was too late. Very sudden and unexpected.

But this guy will be his "replacement" as soon as he's old enough: Maybe a little puppy love will cheer folks up.
1582392425362.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
So very sorry. We lost our beloved Aussie, Rider, just about a month ago. Spleen cancer at only eight years old. The vets kept telling us he had arthritis or indigestion. When they finally figured it out, it was too late. Very sudden and unexpected.

But this guy will be his "replacement" as soon as he's old enough: Maybe a little puppy love will cheer folks up.
View attachment 804165
Stop! Yer killin' me! :laugh1: They're already talking about how long it will take to break Dad down... :hiding:

Gromit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
So, so sorry Tim - having been there myself, I'm all-too-aware of the pain we feel at losing such a wonderful friend. Take peace and strength from the fact that whilst he was with you for a short part of your lives, you were there for the part of his life that truly mattered. Clearly one full of love. There's sure to be an extra star in your heavens from now.

Run free, Tek.

Erich_H

Mu-43 Regular
I'm not sure if this is appropriate in this thread, but having accompanied two cats on their last trip to the vet, I know exactly how you feel...

I'm still tearing up when I think about it.

Kajsa (1995 - 2011)
PICT0002.JPG

Kismet (1998 - 2009)
PICT0004.JPG

Thanks/Erik

corleyjeff

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Jeff
Tek was a rescue. Early on in life he developed an invasive lipoma that took his entire back leg because his first owners didn't address it in time. He did well on three legs for a long while. Eventually another mass grew on his remaining back foot. We caught it early and he recovered, using that sole back foot to walk on while it healed. A year or so later he tore an ACL in that same leg. He fought and overcame, again using that sole leg while it healed. Last year a third tumor grew on his gums, and we caught that in time. Around Christmas he started having trouble and went through a UTI, but never really recovered. During a visit to the Vet today he was diagnosed with advanced cancer. His quality of life had been in severe decline over the last few months, so we made the decision. Tek was 13.

The whole family was there. As he was going to sleep I asked out loud why we keep putting ourselves through these painful separations. My son answered "Because the only thing worse than this would be the last 10 years without him." I think he's right.

RIP buddy, you deserve it. Your life was one medical issue after another, but you fought hard and won until it was too much. You will be missed.

View attachment 803515P1047338 by telecast, on Flickr
Tek was a rescue. Early on in life he developed an invasive lipoma that took his entire back leg because his first owners didn't address it in time. He did well on three legs for a long while. Eventually another mass grew on his remaining back foot. We caught it early and he recovered, using that sole back foot to walk on while it healed. A year or so later he tore an ACL in that same leg. He fought and overcame, again using that sole leg while it healed. Last year a third tumor grew on his gums, and we caught that in time. Around Christmas he started having trouble and went through a UTI, but never really recovered. During a visit to the Vet today he was diagnosed with advanced cancer. His quality of life had been in severe decline over the last few months, so we made the decision. Tek was 13.

The whole family was there. As he was going to sleep I asked out loud why we keep putting ourselves through these painful separations. My son answered "Because the only thing worse than this would be the last 10 years without him." I think he's right.

RIP buddy, you deserve it. Your life was one medical issue after another, but you fought hard and won until it was too much. You will be missed.

Very sorry that you are so upset. But my experience is that loosing a son is many times worse. You must have expected the dog to die before you but not in the case of a child
View attachment 803515P1047338 by telecast, on Flickr

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
My last two dogs died at 13. Due to your amazing level of care, it appears Tek lived a normal lifespan and his illnesses were no doubt compensated by much loving attention. It sounds like this dog had a pretty good life thanks to you folks. Well done.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom