We lost our good boy tonight

tonyturley

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Very sorry for your loss, from someone else who has had to make that agonizing choice for my own beloved furry companion.

Real Name
Mel
Brownie, One way to think about the advancing age vs adopting another pet is this: Adoption of a pet is a two way street. It not only enriches us as we live with our pets but it allows a pet to have a life of love and safety that he/she might never have experienced so adopting also is a great event not only for us but even more so for the animal.

Joris

Mu-43 Veteran
It's too soon at this point to be thinking about another, and as I get older I am weighing the pros and cons.
All my sympathy. I work with dogs so this is up my ally. Having a new dog around will help, just so your loss isn't on your mind all of the time because you have a new challenge and responsibility. I always recommend a whole different type of dog, not one that resembles the one lost. And then, any dog will be better in a home than in cold, the dirt and the stress of a shelter or pound. I would suggest choosing one there, and preferably a smaller one since you say you are getting on a bit. As you say : "Because the only thing worse than this would be the last 10 years without him." That is not only valid for TEK, but for most any dog out there. Take care !

Last edited:

SteveK

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Steve
Having just gone through this recently, you have my sympathy. Pictures of our dog pop up on the screen saver occasionally and make me smile (and a little sad). Remember the good times.

MonikaO

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Monika
So sorry to read about your loss of Tek :(
Big hugs for all of the family.
It never gets easier saying the last good byes.
With some its a bit easier and others way harder.
Depending how deep the bonding was.

I struggled for years after I had to let go of my soulmate cat Fido.
It took many years before I could talk about her without starting to cry.
I am so thankful we shared our lives for 17 years.
All the love and joy she brought me.
She stands in a photo frame on my desk now and I still sometimes have a little chat with her :)

Bif

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bruce Foreman
I offer my condolences also. Our dog is also a rescue, a terrier mix, and we've had him 12 years now. I have no idea how old he really is but he has been very special to us and I know we'll be facing what you just did before too much longer.

Dogs give us so much and ask so little in return. Look at pictures of him and be reminded of the good home life and special care you gave him.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
My condolences. The depth of your love for and from them is what makes the loss so painful. If you did not care, you would not grieve. Give thanks for those years of love and companionship and may those great memories bring a smile when it hurts.

Hazza

Just Clicking
Real Name
Harry
Tim, I am so sorry for the loss of an obviously loved member of the family. This story reminds me of a dog that I had some 40 years ago. I remember him even to this day.
He was a Yorkshire Terrier and lived up to the title. We called him Spadge, I know, strange name but for us Yorkshire people it was apt. When he was 9 months old he had to have his hip sorted and walked with a limp ever since, then at around 2 years he had a seizure ( I thought he was going to die, he was diagnosed with epilepsy ). He was on medication for the rest of his life, then he fell off the sofa during a fit and damaged his spine which left him paralised from the waist down. He was in the vets and I couldn't face work so the next day I went to see him and when the vet brought him out and put him on the examination table, he pulled his way over to me using just his front legs. My heart was aching and I had to take him home.
We made a sling for his back end (my wife and I) and had to massage his back end to help him relieve himself. He would walk around the block while we held his back end up. after about 6 months he stood on his back legs unaided and began to recover his mobility. He was never fully mobile but he managed really well. When he reached 12 years old, his eyesight failed him and he was never the same. I still miss him even now and have had several dogs since him but they were not Spadge.
I now have another Yorkie (always said I wouldn't have another) He is a bit of a rebel (rescue dog, 9 months old)but he's getting better and is now 14 months.

I am sure that you gave him your best and he could not have been in better hands. It's always a sad day when a family member has to leave but the memories always endure.

My heartfelt wishes and condolences go out to you. We went through the same thing with our malamute just before Christmas. A seemingly healthy dog struck down by cancer. As much as it hurts I think you will rescue another one. We just did and it makes us smile again but does not diminish the memories of our recently departed love.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
@Brownie My condolences mate. I've gone through it several times and always said, "never again" but I'm meaning it this time. My old mate is 15 and just in the space of a week his legs have gone when he always seemed to be as fit as a 4yr old. He doesn't appear to be in any pain, eats well, but can't get up off a tiled floor without help and his legs seem to slide from under him unless he's on a carpet. Only a week ago he could jump on the bed or sofa but now he can't. Like I say, he seems alright in himself except for a sad look of frustration when he can't get up, and he even asks to go for a walk, but the dilemma is just when do I make that call? :hmmm::(

Joris

Mu-43 Veteran
@Brownie My condolences mate. I've gone through it several times and always said, "never again" but I'm meaning it this time. My old mate is 15 and just in the space of a week his legs have gone when he always seemed to be as fit as a 4yr old. He doesn't appear to be in any pain, eats well, but can't get up off a tiled floor without help and his legs seem to slide from under him unless he's on a carpet. Only a week ago he could jump on the bed or sofa but now he can't. Like I say, he seems alright in himself except for a sad look of frustration when he can't get up, and he even asks to go for a walk, but the dilemma is just when do I make that call? :hmmm::(
A difficult time for you too, it seems. Sorry to hear that. Spreading blankets for some "grip" between his "bed" and his water bowl might help him to get up and go there. Have a big syringe to administer water if he can't lap it up. The time has come when he doesn't swallow any more. Better avoid having to make that call when the vet is closed for the weekend. All my sympathy to you.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom