We Buried My Father-in-Law Today

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Narnian, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    RIP John Spotts
    3/31/31 to 1/11/11
    You served your country well and they remembered.

• Like Like x 7
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Richard, I am very sorry to read about your father-in-law John Spott's passing. These photographs are a thoughtful and touching tribute. You and your family have my deepest sympathies.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Thanks for sharing this. It is often difficult to express how much we owe to our seniors. Old pictures, and the memories they stir are invaluable for putting the world in perspective.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Richard, may I offer my deepest sympathies for your loss. Your tribute is very appropriate.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Honors to your Fallen Hero. Sympathy to you and yours.
    It would be an Honor for me to Honor him by reading his name on Memorial Day at our Memorial Day Service.
    He will not be Forgotten!
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Sorry for your loss Richard. Our deepest sympathies to you and your family.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Thank you all.

@Don - I am sure it would be greatly appreciated.

I forgot to include this link for his obituary.
    Charles F Snyder Funeral Home - Obituaries and Tributes

He had 11 heat attacks over the last few years and was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer 2 months ago. He refused pain medication because when people visited he wanted to be able to give them his full attention. During the service many people said they went to the hospice to comfort him yet it ended up he was the one comforting them.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Sorry for your loss Richard.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Sorry for your loss, Richard. That is amazing that he thought about everyone else first in his last days.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    My sympathies for your loss.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Thinking about others was his life. I had a "It's a Wonderful Life" moment during the viewing. I knew he was a really nice guy and was an average food salesman for 39 years, never making a lot of money. I always wondered why he never rose very high in the business. Person after person came up to me who worked with him mentioned how he helped them in their career. He would pass on sales leads and spend time with people teaching and helping them. Time and sales leads he could have spent furthering his own career. He was too nice to step on anybody.

He was one of those people the world would say didn't amount to much. I learned otherwise. I am ashamed I didn't know him better.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ricseet

ricseet Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 20, 2010
    Richard, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My deepest sympathies to you and your family.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Please accept my best wishes for you and your family in this loss.

Deep respect for your fallen hero.

• Like Like x 1
  14. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Sympathies for your loss and prayers to you and your family. We owe much to your father-in-law's generation.

• Like Like x 2
  15. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    So sorry to hear of your loss,
    My condolences to you and your family.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    My sympathies too Richard. Sounds like a good man and a life well lived. That, I believe, will make it easier in the long run, but not much helps in the short run. Thinking of you and your family.

• Like Like x 2
  17. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    He sounds like someone I would have liked to have known. Sorry for your loss.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Richard, please accept my deepest condolences. I hope your wife is doing ok. Please give her a hug from me.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Here's an idea

My condolences.
    When my Mom passed away I created a video montage of her life. I shared it with several family members. They all liked it and several commented that I should have done it while she was alive. I realized, they were right.

I created one for my uncle's 80th B'day and it was a big hit. As photographers we should all try to share such great memories while people are alive so they can enjoy them.
    • Like Like x 2