1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

WCON-P01 Wide Converter WITH Cokin Filter Ring

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jjdavis72, Jul 29, 2011.

1. jjdavis72

jjdavis72 New to Mu-43

Jul 29, 2011
    Bought the WCON-P01 Wide Converter for my E-PL2 (gives 11mm / 22mm equivalent field of view), but wanted to attach Cokin P filters to it - the answer? A series of step-up filter adapters!

attachment.php?attachmentid=5030&thumb=1. attachment.php?attachmentid=5031&thumb=1. attachment.php?attachmentid=5033&thumb=1.

There are four step-up adapters in total - a 67-72mm to take the 72mm Cokin P filter ring, screwed to a 62-67mm step-up, screwed to a 58-62mm - all needed to get a level bond onto the WCON-P01 itself - at this stage you need to carefully super-glue the smallest adapter to the WCON-P01, then conceal the bond with a 58-58mm ring (they do exist).

attachment.php?attachmentid=5034&thumb=1. attachment.php?attachmentid=5035&thumb=1.

This gives a pretty neat final appearance, and allows the original WCON-P01 caps to still be used on both ends.

So now you can use all those Cokin P Filters with a standard filter holder - no vignetting either. Sample photo below - JPEG straight out of the camera - taken with the Cokin P121M. The converter gives around 4% barrel distortion, but this is linear so can be easily corrected in Photoshop etc. - the corners are a little soft, but for £80 this is not an option to be sniffed at to get 22mm wide-angle.....

attachment.php?attachmentid=5036&thumb=1.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. odsagn

odsagn Mu-43 Rookie

May 6, 2011
    Los Angeles
    this is exactly what im looking for!!

just bought the WCon and have been looking at Cokin filters as well.

I had played around with similar idea since i purchased the Wcon.

How tough was it to super glue?? Any additional details would be great.

I am def. doing this!!! THANKS!

3. jjdavis72

jjdavis72 New to Mu-43

Jul 29, 2011
    Wasn't tough to super-glue at all - took a couple of minutes.

You connect the first three adapters together (67-72, 62-67, 58-62) - screw them tight, and add a little super-glue inside to bond them (you don't want them unscrewing at a later date).

Slide the three over the WCON-P01 - the outer edge of the 67-72 will be flush with the outer lip of the lens. But crucially, the outer edge of the 58-62 (the 58 part) sits directly over the wide black band of WCON-P01, and leaves a 0.5mm gap all round - just enough to get a good glue bond. Fill this gap with super-glue - be careful not to put too much in, as it could spill through to the front. Don't worry about over-spill of glue onto the black band itself - this is where the 58-58 adapter comes in handy as a cover piece, when the glue is dry.

Screw on a 72mm filter holder, and you're good to go! Good luck with yours - glad I'm not the only person excited by this little project - took a couple of weeks to assemble all the right bits (and only cost about £10), so it's only fair I share it with whoever else wants to attempt it.

You'll get no vignetting even with the full three-filter Cokin holder - result!

One more sample photo below - a quick snap out the window - slight overkill with the GND, but you get the idea. This one has been barrel-distortion corrected and perspective corrected in Photoshop:

attachment.php?attachmentid=5037&thumb=1.

Attached Files:

4. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Nice project. Looks very professional!

I got lucky on my wide angle converter. I picked up a Century Precision Optics 0.6x off of Ebay for less than the WCON-P01. It has 58mm threads on the camera side and 77mm on the outside. I, then, bought a Century 46 --> 55mm step-up ring on Amazon for very little. Now, I can put it on my 14mm or 20mm. I suppose that I could also get a 77mm Cokin filter holder to end up with something similar to yours. However, it's already a pretty hefty piece of glass and I wouldn't want to mess up the motor on the 14mm or 20mm (they will do it just fine by itself, but I support them with my left hand just to keep it as gentle as possible.)

What's just as fun is using the +2 and +7 58mm achromatic diopters that I also picked up "cheaply" on Ebay to make any lens into a macro lens (well, some are closer than others.) The PL45 can be made to focus on something almost touching the front diopter, but that's a story for another thread ...

5. odsagn

odsagn Mu-43 Rookie

May 6, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Great explanation!

I'm not clear on the 58-58 ring's role though. Is it simply a cover over the 58-62mm ring?

Where did you find the 58mm adapter? I looked for it but nothing has come up on my searches. Maybe I had the wrong terminology.

Anyways, I'm going to get everything today and this going! Gonna be going to Mexico and backpacking in August so I want to get it together before that! Really excited!

6. jjdavis72

jjdavis72 New to Mu-43

Jul 29, 2011
    The 58mm adapter is only there to cover the (inevitably) messy glue seal - it screws into the back of the 58-62 after you've glued it to the WCON-P01.

It is called a 58-58mm step ring, but in effect it is like a 4mm wide extension piece (as it neither steps up, nor down) - similar to a screw-in filter, with a front thread and back thread, but no glass - I got mine here:

58mm to 58mm Step Up Stepping Filter Adapter Ring 58-58 | eBay

- but you could probably use a 58mm screw-in filter with the glass removed. This is only a cosmetic cover-piece though, to hide the glue.

Good luck, and enjoy your trip to Mexico!

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.