1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wayne Gretzky...The Great Photographer?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Fmrvette, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I recently came across a quote from the all star ice hockey player Wayne Gretzky talking about shots on goal.

It applies to photography as well, I think.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." —Wayne Gretzky

(As a photographer I make a pretty good hockey player :biggrin:)

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 3
  2. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    It's true!
    You have to get out there and get into scenes. Get to a scene and look around for colour, light, what people are doing and snap away. Most great photos happen because the photographer was "there" and something cool happened. Our cameras are automated enough to take a lot of the hesitancy out of photography.

Sure, save some arm-chair time for editing, reading, and discussing, but make as much time as possible for getting into places and events you like with the gear you have.

• Like Like x 2
  3. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    He shoots….HE SCORES!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  4. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    Great quote Jim, - love it!

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    And you lose 100% of the games you don't win.:)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Ray!

Not including ties, of course :biggrin:.

(I gotta concede I've really not followed ice hockey since Jean Beliveau retired. Once the National Hockey League expanded from the original six teams ( Boston Bruins, Chicago Black Hawks, Detroit Red Wings, Montreal Canadiens, New York Rangers, and the Toronto Maple Leafs (in 1967) ) I began to lose interest a bit. Apparently I'm not smart enough to follow more than half a dozen rosters at a time :biggrin:).

On an aside I'll have a chance to miss some shots myself tomorrow - a high school football game wherein the grandson is in the band at half time. (Note to the non-U.S. members, it's American 'football', not soccer :wink:). Unfortunately it's a night game, seating is problematical, and the only 'long' lens I have is the 45-200mm (not including a 1000mm mirror lens, useless for the conditions I'll face).

I expect blur and under exposure to rule the night!

Regards,

Jim

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    This thread ironically raised something that I was only thinking of a few days ago, about visiting places such as museum, art galleries, historic sites and the like, where some people spend more time taking photos (and selfies) than actually looking at the historical objects etc on display. It's as if they think they will appreciate what's there more if they take photos and look at the photos, than viewing the real deal. When I go to such places, I put the camera away and try and spend as much time as possible understanding what the artists etc were doing and how they achieved their results. As far as I'm concerned, by not taking any photos, I've gained a far greater appreciation of what's on display.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    I was macro shooting fungi or lichen or orchids or something in the Dandenongs many years ago, lying down in the mud to be close enough to the subjects when I heard a noise just ahead of me. I looked up and there was a lyrebird performing in the middle of the path in full light really close. I couldn't work out how to adjust my position without disturbing him, so I had to just lie there and watch. I've taken plenty of dodgy images of lyrebirds, obscured by undergrowth and/or in fast dwindling light, but it is the lyrebird that I just watched that I best remember.:rolleyes:

Nonetheless, Gretzky makes a valid point.:smile:

9. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Yep - although I'm committed to getting at least one printable 'refrigerator' print from the halftime show tomorrow night - it's those refrigerator prints that keep the Princess of the Exchequer signing off on photo gear :biggrin:.

But overall, Ray, I agree - and my shutter counts prove it :2thumbs:. (Edit - hit the "Send" key to soon!): Still I try to fire enough exposures to get a taste of whatever activity we're doing. With a memory like mine...every photo helps :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

10. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    O.K., Adam, I admit it - I had to look it up :biggrin:.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyrebird

Regards,

Jim

11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
  12. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I thought about ya on Saturday, Ray; the event was outdoors, under lights and the only place spectators were allowed was the aluminum (aluminium? :biggrin:) grandstands. The monopod was useless due to the grandstands shaking due to crowd movement, the grandson was at the back of the presentation requiring the 400mm (equiv) lens and all of the photos were junk. 100% of the shots I took...I missed :biggrin:.

Realizing that it was a doomed endeavor I shot a few obligatory wide shots of the band and spent the rest of the time watching and listening.

Nothing worth printing - even for 'refrigerator prints' - but the few photos I took I'll keep to jog my ever failing memory :2thumbs:. Sometimes it's just better to watch than to document, as you pointed out.

Regards,

Jim

13. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Yep, sometimes you're better off just watching.

14. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    Another thing Gretzky said was that part of getting the shot was not going to where the puck was, but where it was going to. Also perhaps applicable to photography sometimes, I suppose.

• Like Like x 1