1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wax On, Wax Off

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OzRay, Mar 7, 2014.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    No, this has nothing to do with the Karate Kid movie, but a difference that I only just realised that existed between Olympus and Panasonic zooms. If you're looking through the viewfinder, with an Olympus zoom, if you have the lens set to widest and then wish to zoom in, you turn the barrel anti-clockwise. With the Panasonic zooms, it's the complete opposite. Interestingly enough, Canon zooms work like Olympus zooms and Nikon zooms work like Panasonic zooms. The focus direction is also the same with Olympus and Canon, with Nikon being the opposite; however, I couldn't find a clear enough image of a Panasonic lens to tell me which way it focussed.

It might be a relatively small issue, but it would annoy the hell out of me if I were using both brand zooms and always having to mentally adjust to different lenses. I wonder why Panasonic and Olympus went this way? Olympus just followed on from the 4/3 style, but Panasonic didn't really have too much reason other than to be different.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    In olympus bodies focus direction I believe can be set either way. Of course the zoom direction is fixed.

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    You could be right on that, at least with some of the lenses, my 14-35mm, for example, is fixed direction (it actually focusses manually whether the camera is on or off).

4. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    It does me! :frown: One of the reasons (perhaps the only one) why I am so reluctant to use my Panny 45-200. It's the only Panasonic zoom I own. While the Olympus 70-300 (4/3 variety) with adapter is bigger and a touch slower to AF, I much prefer it over the Panny because it's consistent with all my other 4/3 and m4/3 zooms. So the Panny stays at home unless I'm really strapped for space. Still... I can't bring myself to sell it. Yet.

5. Nate Crisman

Nate Crisman Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2012
    Coming from a long time w/ nikon, I'm specifically buying Panny zooms for the rotation.

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that has developed such habits or familiarity.

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I use both Nikon and Olympus and it is VERY annoying at times. Since I have used Nikon for years the clockwise to zoom-in direction seems natural to me. When I use an Olympus lens I often try turning the wrong way for zoom. I have missed a shot or two because of it too. I hadn't noticed that Panasonic was backwards to Olympus in that I only had one of their zooms for a short while{45-200mm - sold it because it didn't give much more than my 150mm and was much bigger and heavier}.

8. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    When I shoot with my Nikon F2 I have to remember that focus goes counter clockwise from infinity to closer distances. The aperture ring turns clockwise from largest aperture to smaller. The lens bayonet turns the opposite direction of most other brands. It takes a bit of thinking when using my older Nikkor lenses on a u4/3 body. Zoom controls are not part of the u4/3 lens standard, only the lens mount and electrical contacts. The Panasonic 12-32 zoom for the G1 doesn't have a focus ring only the one for zoom.

9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I know the zoom/focus mechanisms aren't part of the standard, but it's interesting that even the Leica and Voigtlander lenses have the same focus direction as Olympus, such as with the 14-35mm, which has a manual focus ring. Leica and Panasonic have had a relationship for a while, so it's curious that Panasonic hasn't adopted the same styles.

10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    It is annoying,
    it feeds into my opinion that camera manufacturers in general try to actively make things annoying and hard to use, with missing features, because they are sadists.
    Self-timer bracketted series anyone? Ever? Nope, puny customer, never!