Watson Dual Battery Charger for Oly BLN-1 batteries

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
Looks very interesting. B&H also carries the adapter plates for all kinds of different batteries that go with this charger.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
I know some locations like safari camps/lodges may have power for only a few hours in the evening. So you need to charge many batteries in parallel as quickly as possible. I think I will get one and check it out.

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
There are similar products on eBay for about 18 dollars. Just as an alternative. Look like double size versions of the ones I got with my third party batteries, which work fine.

JYPfoto

Mu-43 Veteran
I have this one for my X-T1 batteries and will no doubt get the battery plates for the GH4 batteries later. One thing I love about it is the LCD readout that shows the percentage of charged, sometimes you're in a rush and need a quick charge, so seeing that a battery can go from 10% charged to 50%, is a great thing to have.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Picked up the Watson Duo Chargers today at the UPS Center. Am charging two Olympus batteries. The charger gives charge percentages in 5% increments. It does seem to charge a little faster than the Olympus OEM charger. I have not yet tried it with the one 3rd party battery I have. With the power off, you can put in a battery and push the Test button and get a readout of the battery charge level. It is roughly twice the footprint of the Olympus OEM charger.

What I like most....two batteries charging from one AC power receptacle with graphical readout....with a USB port that can charge a phone, tablet...etc.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
My two Olympus brand batteries work 100% with the charger. My Power2000 battery seems to charge but the charger reports it as 0% charged. I think I will stick with Olympus batteries from now.

iansmith

Mu-43 Regular
I assume that due to the readout it is designed to work with chipped batteries like the Olympus charger?

I have the battery that came with my E-P5 and two third party chipped ones that show battery level in the camera and work with the chager. This would be great for trips, but I would want to verify it handles batteries like the stock charger.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
So far both the wife's Watson and mine are charging Olympus battles just fine and our E-M1s has no problem with their batteries.

budeny

Mu-43 All-Pro
I simply put two oem chargers together with double-sided tape and soldered shorter power cord with two connectors to chargers:
Mostly for the reason that I usually use 2 batteries per day during my hiking trips and I don't have time to charge one after another.

View attachment 31231

iansmith

Mu-43 Regular
So far both the wife's Watson and mine are charging Olympus battles just fine and our E-M1s has no problem with their batteries.
Have you had any problems with Olympus branded batteries and this charger? I have one BLN-1 that came with my E-P5 and two fully chipped knock offs. The Watson charges the knock offs fine, but the Olympus BLN-1 never goes past 95% no matter how long I leave it in. It doesn't get warm at all after that point, but never makes it to full. Put it in the Olympus charger and the light goes out showing it's full.

ThomD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Since I have three different cameras, the Watson charger is great. Having progress meter is so much better than just a flashing light. I picked up a version that had oddball JVC battery plates at a discount and ordered the plates I needed from B&H.

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Since I have three different cameras, the Watson charger is great. Having progress meter is so much better than just a flashing light. I picked up a version that had oddball JVC battery plates at a discount and ordered the plates I needed from B&H.
Did the same and I'm just waiting for the BLN-1 plates from B&H. If I have some time I'll be able to do some recharge + discharge for capacity cycles (Using a Hyperion EOS 0720i NET3 hobby charger.) with some Progo batteries I've been using for a while.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Hi,
It's a C7 plug on the cord...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320#C7.2FC8_coupler

I don't see any North American NEMA to C7 splitter / Y cables for sale, but you could have someone make one.

I did find this one:
http://www.misco.co.uk/product/200934/LINDY-IEC-C14-to-2-x-C7-Sockets-Y-Power-Lead-2-5m

But you'd need another adapter (readily available) for wall-power to the IEC computer plug. Those IEC plugs would add a lot of bulk - unideal for travel.

Maybe this is what you need (I'm unfamiliar with UK power outlets):
http://www.misco.co.uk/product/158499/Lindy-UK-3-Pin-Mains-to-2x-C7-Sockets-inchYinch-Power-Lead-2-5m
2.5 meters seems overkill.

Barry

owczi

nareteV 34-uM
I am looking for one of thsee but am struggling to google the right thing - can you assist?
I'm using the C7 to UK wall plug Y cable that barry13 mentioned (last in his reply). It is long and thick but works for me.

The connector on the charger side is also sometimes called "figure 8".

CrayzeeDiamond

New to Mu-43
Look like a great product. Reading the description from b&h, it means it can charge gx7 batteries also?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

rhom

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rick
Never heard of this Watson Duo charger until I read this thread a few weeks ago. Sounded like a great idea, so I ordered the cheaper JVC version for $50 via BH and the adapter plates for two BLN-1s, and Nikon plates for my other cameras ($2/each). Total price was much less than the $80 quoted for the dual BLN-1 version.

Works great! Thanks for the tips!

Rick

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom