1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Watertrails a first attempt

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Ian_Holmes, May 21, 2010.

1. Ian_Holmes

Ian_Holmes Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2010
    Minnesota
    Like the title says this afternoon I had my first attempt a photographing long exposure water trails. The afternoon was cloudy all were shot at ISO 100 f/22 200mm on my PL 45-200 with an ND2 filter on the front even then the slowest shutter speed I could get was about half a second. So the trails aren't as "ghostly" as I'd like but for a first attempt I can't complain. I expect the ghostliness of the train depends on the volume of water, speed of water as well as the shutter speed. So all in all I'm quite satisfied with a first attempt.
    watertrail_04.
    E-P2    ---    45mm    f/22.0    1/8s    ISO 100

watertrail_03.
    E-P2    ---    200mm    f/22.0    1/6s    ISO 100

watertrail_01.
    E-P2    ---    42mm    f/22.0    1/8s    ISO 100

watertrail_02.
    E-P2    ---    109mm    f/22.0    1/4s    ISO 100

2. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    try at dawn or dusk or as the light fails toward evening for some longer exposures , but these are nice ... i bet 15 sec to 30 sec would net you some ghostly water

3. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Very nice effect, especially the last shot, notwithstanding your technical difficulties.

Bokeh Diem

4. Ian_Holmes

Ian_Holmes Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2010
    Minnesota
    Thanks!
    The location is only 10-15 minutes down the road I might just go back right now.

5. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Quite good. I find some of the rocks not particularly sharp. Possibly you need to stop down a bit for more depth of field.

I find the last one the best. The rocks look fairly sharp all the way though and you have a nice cascading feature of the mini-falls. Although there is less watertrails and less rocks, I find that the most interesting shot.

For lighting, a overcast day works just nice. Too much dynamic range if the sun is out.

Have fun and post some of the next lot.

6. Ian_Holmes

Ian_Holmes Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2010
    Minnesota
    A second attempt

So as the location is only 11 minutes down the road Fired up with reckless enthusiasm I headed back.
    watertrail_05.
    E-P2    ---    91mm    f/22.0    1/1s    ISO 100

watertrail_06.
    E-P2    ---    61mm    f/22.0    1/1s    ISO 100

watertrail_07.
    E-P2    ---    120mm    f/22.0    1/1s    ISO 100

watertrail_08.
    E-P2    ---    147mm    f/22.0    1/1s    ISO 100

Now reckless enthusiasm is NOT a good thing because I forget everything I know. Good stuff like use the self timer to release the shutter. I blew the first half a dozen shots like that they were shaky.
    I'm also looking at some of these close up and I'm thinking that perhaps I should have manually focussed as well rather than rely on auto. In the fading light I was getting exposure times of 1.5 seconds which has given me more of what I was looking for. I'm definitely really pleased with the way these have gone. Thanks for the advice

7. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    really nice , and great to see this evolution of shots almost in real time .....this forum is like a living university of photography and comparative shooting , thanks for sharing this

8. ryno

ryno Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 6, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Nice Ian, where are those falls at?
    B+W makes a nice ND1.6, it's easy to get 1-2 sec any time of day.
    Ryan

9. Ian_Holmes

Ian_Holmes Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2010
    Minnesota
    Falls?
    That's a bit of an exaggeration. It's the outfall from Elk Lake south of Princeton, MN.
    I'm definitely guilty of making it look more than it is...

Ian

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.