1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Waterproofing the OMD-EM-1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MarkoPolo, Feb 9, 2015.

1. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    I got an e-mail from Olympus on things to do to be sure your OMD-EM-1 is ready to be used in wet conditions. Among other things they mention having the X-sync socket cover, the accessory port and hot shoe covers in place. I have already lost the hot shoe cover as I suspect a lot of folks have. I do not see anywhere on the Olympus site where to purchase those items. Any idea where to get them?

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, I did get that email as well, but I've seen several posts here in the past that the hotshoe cover is not needed for weatherproofing.

Barry

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I've used Olympus cameras since the E-1 in extremely wet conditions and never had a hot shoe cover. If anything, I think a hot shoe cover will help retain water, rather than keeping it clear. All the other ports should be kept fully sealed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    By definition, these are standard since any hot shoe accessory will fit in. Just buy a handful on Amazon. No need to pay Olympus.

5. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Doesn't the hot shoe cover on the E-M1 also cover the accessory port?

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    No, the two are quite separate, with the accessory port having a weatherproof cover.

7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I think you're possibly remembering one of the Panasonic cameras. AFAIK, all of the OM-D series have separate covers for the accessory port.

8. csemms

csemms New to Mu-43

Feb 15, 2011
    Arlesey Bedfordshire UK
    Try this link. http://shop.olympus.co.uk/e_commerce/other-accessories/olympus/hot-shoe-cover-black-p-2198.htm

Chris

9. jaydubstar

jaydubstar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2014
    Bellingham, WA
    Jayme
    I EM1 fell in the snow during a day of snowboarding. It was found an hour later buried in snow. I brushed it off and took a sigh of relief that it was found and not stolen... But I never worried about snow or cold effecting it! Hahaha, I totally take it for granted that it is fine!

10. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    I am still wondering if anyone has seen where those items could be ordered in the US. Don't need them yet, but just haven't seen them on the Oly web site.

11. Joon525

Joon525 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    NJ
    I almost wasn't going to post this because it's trivial to me but I'll help anyway (no disrepect meant here).

The link to the Olympus store with part is here (Bookmark this now):
    http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/parts.html?icn=topnav&ici=accessoriesnav_camera-accessories-parts

The link to the e-M1 hot shoe cover is here as per the description:
    http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/parts/hot-shoe-cover-black.html

(It's funny to me that I've seen pictures on the web with different hot shoe covers for the E-M1. Some are just a plate, others are a plate with a vertical flap.)

You could just search ebay for these things as well.

12. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    The hot shoe cover that comes with the EM1 does have a plastic piece that comes down and touches the accessory port, but it in no way contributes to the weather sealing of the accessory port.

I always remove the hot shoe covers on all my cameras once I buy them and never care about them again.

13. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    My E-M1 came with a standard hot shoe cover and a completely separate accessory port cover that is fully weatherproof.

14. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry