1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Waterproofing question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by judystowell, Nov 24, 2013.

1. judystowell

judystowell Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Does anyone have a suggestion for using the OMD EM5 underwater? I'd like to use it while snorkeling.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    What's the budget? If you never go deep, your wallet will thank you for buying something like an Oly tough. There were some fantastic deals on Olympus E-PL's with Oly housings a while back, but normally you're looking at roughly the cost of the camera again (often 1.5 - 2x the cost of the camera) for a quality housing. Olympus makes one, so does Nauticam. Remember you need a port for the lens as well most of the time, which isn't always cheap.

I scuba, but not a lot. So I elected to go with the sony rx100 with an aluminum housing. It's not as good as the e-m5 would be, the housing was still pricier than the camera, but it's a price I feel comfortable with for now.

3. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    Remember that while your OMD E-M5 is weather sealed and splash resistant with certain weather sealed lenses, it is NOT WATERPROOF by itself. It might survive a few seconds of submersion but likely not more than that. One thing I'd suggest if budget needs to be watched is to watch all the forum sites for used GoPro Hero 2's.

I found two at about the $150 ea range. The curved convex port does not focus sharp underwater so I'd order the Dive Housing (mine ran $39.95) and I use the LCD backpac ($79.95) as the camera itself has no finder. All of that still comes in at way way less than an underwater housing you can count on.

At my age I don't skydive, base jump, ski, skateboard, wingsuit fly, or scuba dive. I use mine for in and on vehicle shots. It's an amazingly useful camera.

4. judystowell

Nov 24, 2013
    Thanks mattia. I'm only going to use it for snorkeling - not scuba. I'll take a look at your suggestions. I don't want to spend a lot, but I really don't need another camera either. You've been very helpful.

5. judystowell

Nov 24, 2013
    Thanks Bif. I knew the EM5 was not waterproof, that's why I asked for help. Where did you pick up a dive housing - that's kind of what I was thinking I'd be looking for. Does that do a decent job? It's just going to be for snorkeling, not scuba, so I'm not going deep.

Thanks again.

6. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    One other thing to think about is if you really want to be an underwater photographer or just want some snaps to remember the moment. Shooting underwater is difficult and will take time away from the activity. I have an older Panasonic point and shoot that is waterproof. Great for snapshots.

7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    A dedicated waterproof cam will always be much cheaper than any housing I would be willing to trust my OM-D to.

8. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    The EM-5 will be very expen$sive to get underwater. There are several housings, but it does not stop there. You will need a specific port for the lens you are using and then the custom lens gear that allows one to focus and/or control a zoom. Overall you are probably looking at around $2500 for a Nauticam setup. Then there are the strobes... You get the idea. If you are just doing snorkeling, this would be overkill. If you want to experience sticker shock go to optical ocean sales or backscatter.com.

A much more practical option was already mentioned, get a waterproof digicam that does not need a housing and is rated to a depth that is in the range you would experience in snorkeling. I dive, but infrequently, so I use an Olympus XZ-2 with the olympus housing. That works great. Other options are a point and shoot with an inexpensive housing (ikelite), where your total out of pocket will be on the order of $1000.

-Cliff