1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Waterproof P/S Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Replytoken, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    My wife and I are planning a trip to Hawaii next year, and while I will be bringing my gear with me, I was also considering a waterproof P/S for when we are ont he beach and or swimming. I know that DPR has a list of several models, but the review information was not that detailed. So, does anybody have any experience or recommendations for a waterproof P/S?

Thanks,

--Ken

2. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I
    I got an Oly tough TG-3 Very solid compact camera water proof to 50 ft. Takes jpegs only. Has GPS, Wi Fi and no touch screen but has "tap " screen.I can't say how wonderful it is,since I haven't used it much yet but it looks real good so far,especially if you use Oly cameras. Save for the tap feature it can be operated without using the manual. I took a few shots and of course they are beautiful,but not like my EM-1. If you want you can get a waterproof camera case for almost any camera that goes to 130 feet,but they are gigantic and ungainly plus they cost about $400.00

3. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Thanks for the reply. This is one of the camera that I was considering, but I am a bit disappointed at no raw support, and at the price. I am still looking, and have added the new base level GoPro and Sony AS15 to the mix. I need to know more about their still image quality, but the price is certainly right, and they might be easier to sell afterwards if I decide not to keep whatever I buy. Underwater housings are too expensive and too bulky for my needs, so they are off my list.

--Ken

4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I think the Camera Store did a YouTube video on the best waterproof point and shoots. Might be worth watching if you have not already. There were three - the Oly Tough, a Nikon and something else that escapes my thought at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I don't know about the newer models,but the Go Pros I have seen are super wide angle and give very bad distortion if the subject is to the side of the frame. They are of no use beyond 20 feet. I doubt if there is raw support as the unit only has two buttons. Does take good closeup movies.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    This whole thing is a world that I realy did not want to wade into (pun intended), as it is filled with more compromises that I care to sort through. I have already accepted that my IQ is probably not going to be on par with my current gear, and that becomes kind of discouraging since the TG-3 is $350, and I do not see using it much afterwards. Thankfully, I have a bit of time to figure out some options.

--Ken

7. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    There is little difference in IQ between the tg 1,2,3. My parents got the TG1 from KEH about 4 mo ago, and took it snorkeling and on a cruise. Loved it and considered it a great buy (think they paid about 150).

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  8. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I have the TG-830 since about 18 months ago - it is quite happy in the sea for ordinary snorkeling etc. I expect the newer models are just as good or better, but they cost more. PQ is not like the EM-1 of course, but that is to be expected.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rboate

rboate Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 6, 2012
    I am quite happy with my Nikon AW110, has all the most recent features ( gps, wifi, built in base map of the world )

• Like Like x 1
  10. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I love my Olympus TG-2 for wet, snowy, or hide-it-in-your-pocket types of things. I'd guess that the TG-3 was better but hope that the TG-2 could be had for cheaper given that it's been upgraded.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Keeping an eye out for deals or refurbs.

--Ken

12. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    I have a Pansonic DMC-FT4 which I brought initially based on the photos that DC Rainmaker got from it. I notice that he is now using a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3. If you look at his 2012 Escape from Alcatraz Race Report page you can get an idea of the IQ. His photography page can be found here which gives you more information on his setup.

Andrew

• Like Like x 2
  13. Blaidd

Blaidd New to Mu-43

Oct 10, 2014
    Years ago I had an Oly one that was more rugged than the others at that time. My biggest problem with the has always been the zoom or lack of zoom range. If it was me and I didn't want to bring 2 cameras, I'd look at something to protect what I have already. They make waterproof bags that are cheaper than a dedicated housing or uw camera.

14. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Three months later and I still not really happy with my options. Just out of curiosity, as the thought crossed my mind today in a bit of frustration, how good or bad is the IQ, and how safe are these "cases" from OverBoard (or something similar) if I stuffed one with a G3 and 14mm lens (or something similar) since that is about what I am willing to sacrifice if a bag leaked - http://www.overboardusa.com/waterproof-zoom-lens-camera-case-black.html or http://www.overboardusa.com/waterproof-camera-case-black.html. I am still having a hard time warming up to the $350 price for a TG-3.

Thanks,

--Ken

15. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I agree and understand your reluctance to pay $350 for a camera that outside of being waterproof to a point, you won't be thrilled with. I have been looking at getting a waterproof camera for years and still haven't done it. I think I may start looking on eBay or KEH for a decent price on a used one. That would probably be easier for me to swallow. Or perhaps wait until a new model is introduced and buy the old model on clearance.

16. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Hi Dan,

Nice to know that I am not the only one who finds this situation less than ideal. I have heard some folks say that they really like their TG-2 and TG-3 cameras, but I have also heard about a number of horror stories about seals failing after only a few uses. I ordered a refurbished TG-3 from Olympus this morning, but called to cancel the order after I calculated how much it would cost with sales tax, a float strap and an extended warranty. B&H now has them in stock new, and I did order one, but I may not open it up if I can find a more affordable solution. That was what led me to consider putting something like a G3 in a "case" (pouch), with the hopes that the larger sensor and better camera controls would compensate for the protective plastic in front of the lens. It may be a fools errand, but I thought I would solicit opinions anyways. There is a part of me that says to just forget the whole thing and concentrate my efforts on photos above water, but I hear that snorkeling in Hawaii can be quite visually rewarding.

--Ken

17. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Stay away from the Fuji XP 65/70. I bought it for my Son as he's only 5 but loves to shoot photography. I found one on Refurb for about $100. But its focusing is horrendous, quality is mediocre and all the settings are tough to get at. Plus no Aperture or Shutter control. I would have sent it back if I didn't buy it from HK. Live and learn. Ill be looking to get him another one in a few months so he can give that to his younger sister.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Unfortunately, that does seem to be the description of many waterproof cameras, even by reviewers who normally do not say negative things about the products they review.

--Ken

19. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    • Like Like x 1