1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Waterproof compact....shoot me please !

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Minniesmum, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    ok I said to myself yesterday after the 14mm arrived, NO MORE lens or cams for a few months lol. Then I popped into my local Asda supermarket yesterday for some cash and wandered into the " Photo" dept. as you do....
    Saw this box with" reduced" stickers all over it....Oly TG-310 Waterproof compact- ex-display. Looking lost lonely unloved.
    I've wanted a waterproof compact for many years. My passion is the sea. Swimming in it, snorkling, kayaking. Could never decide which cam to get. So on the spot did a quick Google for reviews on my Blackberry phone and read favourable reports.
    So now I'm the proud new owner !
    Problem is I'm grounded for health reasons from swimming just now so may fill up the bath later and give this little beauty a " roadtest" or rather a " rivertest"..

Cath

2. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I have this camera as well...twas a gift from my employer. Haven't given it much of a test run yet, but will be handy for those occasions when the "nice" camera isn't safe to bring (on a boat, beach, etc.)

3. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Hey guys... I'd love to learn what the both of you think about the camera's output. Oly waterproof cameras haven't been reviewed well in terms of image quality in recent years. But I've seem the TG-310 going for very friendly prices in a couple of locations. Of course, the price doesn't matter if the output isn't good. Let us know what you think and even post a few images.

4. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    I have stylus 720sw and I thought the output is fine. I can't comment too much on snorkeling or extensive underwater uses, but out in the sun in swimming pools, the jpg looks clean. I figure these newer models can't be worse. and you know what they say, the best camera is the one with you.

what I really love about these waterproof cameras, is that the zoom is internal, so it's the perfect everyday camera for the young kids to play with. I gave my 3 year old an old fuji to play with and the zoom mechanism broke down after a month because his hand is always in the front and blocking the lens from extending. and they are shockproof!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    In recent years? I would have said in previous years. :) It's in recent years that the quality has improved. The newest Tough-820 iHS even uses a backlit sensor...

6. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    I just picked up a Kodak EasyShare Sport C123 myself, at the bargain basement price of $60. I used to do a lot of underwater stuff, but my gear is pre-digital. I'm going to Hawaii in June and wanted something for snorkeling depths and the beach.

7. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Yes, it has a backlit sensor. Oly's Tough cameras have always had fantastic features and are arguably the toughest of the tough cameras. But, nonetheless, even as recently as last year, the reviews weren't good in terms of image quality and performance.

And I'm talking only about comparisons with other waterproof/tough cameras, which would have made the same fundamental design compromises. I forget which noted photo website suspended a test of one of the Oly Toughs because IQ and performance was so dismal. And this was only last year. I'm not saying they were right... only that the reviews haven't been good.

It would be great to learn that the Oly Toughs are a real option.

8. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    It's a totally alien concept to me to submerse a camera in water but it's going in the bath this morning....;) then will take some shots outdoors later providing it's still functioning.

Cath

9. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Man, my trusty TX5 has suffered it's first functional problem. It's been dropped, kicked and abused but it always took the lickin and kept on tickin. Elephant + river = messed up LCD. The camera still works fine but the LCD looks funny now. It has streaks all over it. I think there may be some water trapped between the touchscreen and the LCD. My 2 year warranty just ended too.