Waterproof Case for G1/GH1/GH2

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Boatman, Aug 4, 2011.

1. I have a GH2 and will be headed out on our boat for a week long cruise ina couple of weeks. I'm always nervous about taking the camera in our dinghy as there is chance it could get wet with seawater.

I was considering just a plain plastic waterproof pouch to carry it in until it was safe to remove and use it. But in looking for this I came across the line of waterproof pouches from DiCAPac that are not only waterproof but allow you use the camera while it is in the pouch. This would be ideal for situations where you might actualy be standing in water or near breaking wave. (They claim you can snorkle with it - seems risky.)

Several sizes of these pouches are available, but the G series is kind of between the zoom point and shoot cameras and the full DSLR size cameras.
    I have the the 14-140 lens. Does anyone have experience with these? Can you comment on what size works best and how well they operate?

2. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I was looking for the same thing as you. I use the Olympus 14-150 lens on an E-P3, and I'm pretty sure the long lens is gonna require the full SLR sized bag. Unfortunately, that means it's likely to be a bit oversized around the camera itself.

I spotted Aquapac, in addition to DiCAPac. This is probably the one that fits, though it's much more expensive than the next size down:
    http://www.aquapac.net/usastore/water-photo-slr-case-861-0.html

3. Waterproof Bag

That demo is pretty impressive. I can't imagine that using the thumb wheel on a Panasonic camera is going to work very well, though... although the touch screen would probably still work and you can adjust from there.

I hadn't PLANNED to dunk it in the water, I really just want somethink to protect it in transit. Perhaps I need to go back to the cheapo waterproof pouches and then re-think my waterproof use needs.

4. corona

corona Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 29, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    I've just come back from overseas where I used my brand spankin gf2 with a dicapac wp-h10. I know my camera is much smaller than yours but it was positively swimming in the case. They do have a couple of foam hunks you can use to wedge in the fit a bit better which worked well though. I bought this size simply because it was in stock in a local shop and I wanted to try before I bought it.

It worked great! I went kayaking, and took it _just_ underwater a little (nervously) but not a lot, but didn't see even a hint of water inside. I was using it with my 14-42mm lens, but it could have handed a longer one with an included lens port extension. There's no way to adjust the lens once it's inside (I thought I had read suggestions it had things to allow this, but no), so was just using it at 14mm autofocus.

Touch screen worked fine through it, and I found it surprisingly easy to use the trigger button and even the power slide switch. Didn't try the thumb wheel, doubt it'd have worked too well, but would have been possible to adjust slowly, but not if the camera had been a tighter fit.

Andrew