Waterproof Camera Options

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Cruzan80, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Hey All,

My parents have asked me for a recommendation of two different waterproof cameras. One is the Olympus TG series (probably looking at a TG-1 from KEH), the other is the Panasonic TS4. They are going on a cruise, and want something while snorkeling. Mom doesn't dive, and Dad can't anymore due to medical, so snorkeling depth is the farthest they will go. They are not photo enthusiasts, so something that has a "set and forget" mode would be great (not sure if these sport the iAuto?). They dont have any need for wireless, so that is why the newer TG's aren't really as much of an option vs. price savings. Any comments?

2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I think they are all about the same, their water resistance when submerged is semi-reliable, and they usually recommend sending it in for new seals periodically to maintain water resistance. My suggestion is to look for features you want (zoom range, wifi, etc) and buy from any major brand that has the features you want at the price you like.

3. Rjhelmes

Rjhelmes New to Mu-43

Jan 23, 2014
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Olympus' website has a refurbished camera section has a few options you should check out.

4. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Checked on Olympus, but didn't see any of the single digit TG options (1,2,3). Features are what made it narrow down to these two, besides other options out there. Curious if anyone has any direct experience with either of these. Will probably post over on SC, but wanted to avoid creating another account if possible.

5. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Cameta has Nikon AW100's for a little over $100, refurb but 1 year warranty. None of these small sensor cams is going to have great IQ, all are pretty close.

6. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    My brother has high praise for his Nikon AW

7. MaK543

MaK543 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2012
    MD USA
    My Nikon AW100 image quality is pretty bad, worse than iPhone 4s. Maybe I have a bad sample. If I ever buy another waterproof camera, I'd go with Olympus or Pentax.

8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I know it is expensive, but look into the Nikon 1 AW1.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

9. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Is it an ILC? If so, I know that won't work for them. According to my dad, he did it once during the film days and has no desire to go back. Think they are heavily leaning towards a LN- TG1 from KEH, unless anyone has a reason to steer clear.

10. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Yes it is, but it was designed to be used as a diving camera. There are fully sealed lenses as well.

11. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Sounds like something more up my alley. Both my wife and I dive, and after using my father in laws compact within its custom housing, been thinking about picking one up. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

12. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Lisbon
  13. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Both the Olympus TG-1 and TG-2 (and the brand-new TG-3) all feature lenses that have an aperture of f/2.0 at the wide end - allowing you to stay at lower ISOs, which helps image quality a lot. The Pentax WG-2 and WG-3 (and the brand-new Ricoh WG-4) also have this feature. That doesn't mean all other waterproof cameras aren't any good. But this is a big plus if you want to keep image quality as high as you can with these small sensors.