1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Waterproof bags

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by nuno_cruz, Apr 17, 2013.

1. nuno_cruz

nuno_cruz Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 18, 2012
    Amsterdam
    Nuno Cruz
    Hello everyone,

Soon there will be a colour run in Amsterdam and for that purpose I was thinking to buy a waterproof bag to protect my camera.

I did some googling looking for bags but they all seemed to big and designed to DLSR's rather than for M43 or to small designed for compacts.
    I think it would be rather inconvenient to use a bag not tailored for m43, in my case for the OM-D E-M5, so has anyone of you bought and used this kind of bags, if so I wanted to ask you guys for recommendations and user experience.

Many thanks!

2. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    How much camera gear are you bringing?

3. nuno_cruz

nuno_cruz Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 18, 2012
    Amsterdam
    Nuno Cruz
    I am looking for a bag to protect my Olympus OM-D E-M5 with a lens on it. Either the 12mm f/2.0 or the 20mm f/1.7

4. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I just got a Sagebrush Dry Goods Cam-Dry Large Horizontal bag so I can take my OM-D or E-PL5 along on some upcoming fly fishing outings this season. These trips involve wading in streams with slippery boulders, taking a spill is not uncommon, a dry bag is essential.

I can post a more in-depth review once I've used it for a bit. But a couple initial comments. Because of the nature of the extra heavy duty zipper - it's not as easy as I hoped pulling camera in and out of bag, but I guess that's the nature of waterproof zipper. I have to play around with dividers and add one or two of my own as they only give you one, but my OM-D w 12-50 kit, Oly 9-18 and 40-150 fills up bag. A little extra room for some filters, battery card and hoods-but that's about it. Overall the sizing of the Large horiz, seems about perfect for an Mu43 sized kit. I'm wondering if I should've gone with the Large vertical - you can remove the liner, and the vertical configuration looks just about right to hold my Crumpler haven sm insert.
    Other than that it's a solidly built bag Made in the USA by a small family owned company specializing in bags for paddle sports.
    With just the OM-D + Pan 20 or 12; you may want to look at the smaller size.

I got another option as well to play around with, for times I don't want to lug a bigger kit around. This is the Simms Dry Creek camera bag. This is a much smaller bag that will hold either my E-PL5 w Pan 14 or my XZ-1 P&S. It's pretty inexpensive for a waterproof bag. I can try this bag with my OM-D/pan 20 when I get home.

5. nuno_cruz

nuno_cruz Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 18, 2012
    Amsterdam
    Nuno Cruz
    Hi OhWellOK,

Thanks for you reply, but, I am looking for a bag with which I can shoot while the camera is still inside it, something like this:
    slr-camera-waterproof-bag-blue_hmjewv1325042301429.

6. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Oh ok, no problem. One comment about that type of case - you'll be shooting through material not unlike a shower curtain, will take a big hit on image quality, not to mention the difficulty to access camera controls. I tried a similar case made by a company called Dry Pak a couple years back and after one atempt I just ended up buying a waterproof P&S that I could dunk and what not.

7. Taki

Taki Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 8, 2012
    Dicapac makes sizes that fit :43:. It probably works fine to keep camera safe from accidental water splash, but I would not submerge my camera in water with it.

My husband got one for his E-P1 from Amazon. He took it to the beach and kayaking several times and it worked fine. Then he got brave and went snorkeling with it. When he came out of water there was about an ounce of water in the pack, and initially the camera turned on but soon went dead:cry: He did take some good underwater photos, though. It does make turning dials difficult, but he only uses iAuto so it wasn't really an issue for him:tongue:

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Always test an underwater bag before using it with a camera. Submerge it in water stuffed with paper or tissue.

9. nuno_cruz

nuno_cruz Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 18, 2012
    Amsterdam
    Nuno Cruz
    I actually don't intend to use it underwater, but just to protect from huge amounts of colour powder:

article-2182500-1456C523000005DC-574_964x888.

10. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    If it's just for the powder, how about a sturdy ziploc bag, an empty threaded filter ring (no glass in it) to 'clamp' it in place at the front of the lens (as long is the lens does not rotate while zooming or focussing, some do) and cutting away the excess plastic with a razor blade or scalpel?

Otherwise Cameranu.nl may have cheap plastic 'camera condoms' for you. Or Foto Express down near Amsterdam Zuid.