Waterproof Bag Suggestions

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Boatman, Feb 14, 2014.

1. I have a trip planned that will involve some wet travel with wet photography opportunities. I have been looking at several waterproofing solutions including the DiCAP bags. Can anyone comment on these? I have a GH2 and would most likely be using the 14-140 lens, which is fairly large. Would the WP-S3 fit this at the longer end of the zoom?
  2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Dry bag of some sort (I use an ortlieb waterproof backpack with a separate insert for wet travel). If I need to shoot in really wet conditions I'm more likely to use a proper waterproof camera (scuba housing).
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Musashi

Musashi Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2013
    I briefly owned a Camera Armor Seattle Sling, which is advertised as waterproof. It's certainly very well made, though you can't store that much inside it. However, some reviews claimed that while the bag is seriously water resistant, it's not completely waterproof. I did have it out in some pretty harsh conditions, and though it performed well, I can't personally vouch for it being completely waterproof.

Unless you really need a soft bag, the only case I'd trust to be guaranteed waterproof would be a Pelican case. Those I can vouch for.
  4. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Used to use a Pelican container tied to my canoe. Getting to gear was a hassle. There are many waterproof bags sold for kyak use.
    I use a Billingham bag for shooting. This is a shoulder bag that sheds water like a tent does. Only mentioning it because I don't know if you are looking for full waterproof bags, or something to carry gear in the rain. My Billingham Hadley Pro does that last job nicely for me.
    Here in Canada Domke and Think Tank bags are so darned expensive. My Billy bag was similar in cost to pro grade bags from Domke, Think Tank or LowePro.
  5. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    I used a Dicapac some years ago for my DSLR and snorkeling endeavours. It held up great, never had a leak. But be careful not to rub on any coral when snorkeling it might rip even though its fairly THICK plastic.
    Since I went to Scuba diving I now use proper underwater housings right now have a Nauticam NA-EM1 coming. But for snorkeling or kayaking, I would not hesitate to get a Dicapac again. But the front element is plastic for your lens, so the picture quality suffers a bit. If you want glass go with a EWA Marine, a bit better quality BUT MUCH higher cost.