1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Watermark question

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by rhaab, Apr 14, 2013.

1. rhaab

rhaab Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 19, 2013
  2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    This is legal question and the answer is different according to the country.
    If it is imitates completely including graphic and similar name then YES in most countries. If the graphic are registered trade mark then yes in all western countries.

The question that you need to ask yourself, is if a common person will confuse your work with the other photographer work, by looking at the watermark, then it is breaking other photograph trade mark.
    Since you have asked regarding this two, it is advised not to use similar watermark, since you lost the not knowing defense in case they sue you.

If you just use the same fonts (if public), with different name and no graphics then probably no.

This is a very difficult question and best is to invent a watermark, or use a common one that include in editing program.

I take no responsibility to the outcome of any action taken by you based on this this post.

3. rhaab

rhaab Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 19, 2013
    So basically ones with graphics are almost like logos I'm assuming?
    When I browse photos online there are some that look familiar, like the first example seems to be used a lot so I wasn't unsure.
    I personally don't like watermarks. I wasn't planning on ripping one off to start stamping on all my pictures.

4. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    The first one is probably a template used by of the popular programs.
    Since it is only fonts no one can take ownership on it.