Waterfalls of the New River Gorge

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by tonyturley, Mar 27, 2016.

1. tonyturley

tonyturley Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2014
    West Virginia's New River Gorge has many waterfalls tucked into the rugged ravines and crevices that hide in its forests. Some, like Kanawha Falls and Cathedral Falls, are drive-up accessible. Others, like Wolf Creek and Marr Branch, are hidden from view and easily missed by the casual tourist. Still others, like Fern Creek and Craig Branch, require treks along difficult and potentially dangerous trails, requiring, as one blogger described, cliff-hugging and carefully watching your step. I stay away from those. I hiked a bit over 6.5 miles at several different locations yesterday to catch a view of some of the more noteworthy area waterfalls. E-M1 + ZD 4/3 14-54 Mk II.

Fern Creek pours into a narrow crack in the top of the cliff, before blasting out into a cavern on the other side. It is possible to climb down and see the upper and lower falls, but this was my turnaround point.

Upper Wolf Creek Falls is hidden from view and requires some scrambling down a steep ravine to see it. You can see part of a tributary that tumbles down a mountainside into Wolf Creek just above the falls. Lots of iron in the rocks around the falls, it appears.

Lower Marr Branch Falls is another one that requires a difficult climb down into a ravine. While my mind still thinks I'm 20, my body occasionally reminds me I am not! The struggle was worth it, though:

Climbing back up out of the ravine leads you toward the upper falls:

Upper Marr Branch Falls. I'm looking forward to repeating this composition in another month or so when all of those Rhododendrons are blooming:

Upper MarrBranch.jpg
    Butcher Branch Falls requires a trek down steep canyon slopes along a series of switchbacks, then following the base of a cliff for a short distance. There are 3 prominent cliff faces towering above the falls. Standing at the falls, I could hear rock climbers shouting back and forth to each other, but I never saw anybody. Hiding in the cliffs' crevices, I suppose.

A few miles away we find the upper and lower falls of Laurel Creek. While the lower falls are picturesque, they are surrounded by heavy vegetation, and after a day of hiking I wasn't interested in climbing down into another ravine for a better view. Here's the upper falls, with Beckwith Rd. in the background:

Laurel Falls.jpg
    • Like Like x 9
  2. tonyturley

tonyturley Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2014
    Forgot to add this one. This is Wolf Creek above the upper falls, with the Kaymoor Trail crossing in the background:

• Like Like x 8
  3. littletim

littletim New to Mu-43

Jan 30, 2016
    Nicely captured. I have rafted the Gauley several times and failed to do any hiking around the area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Mu-43 mobile app
  4. tonyturley

tonyturley Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2014
    Thanks. The area is covered in great hiking trails. I have kayaked once on the Little River in Virginia, which pours into the New. We went over a 3 foot waterfall. That's about the extent of my river bravado. :D
  5. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins
    looks like fantastic hiking! beautiful falls.
    • Like Like x 1