Waterfalls in the Smokies

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Djarum, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    My girlfriend and I about a month ago visited Gatlinburg. We did some hiking and some waterfall chasing.

Meigs falls off of Little River Road between Townsend and Gatlinburg:

P9262981_crops.

Interesting waterfalls. Found this right behind the Sugarland visitor center. Not more than a .25 from the Ranger Headquaters which is behind the visitor center. Cataract Falls.

P9273114_s.JPG

We got up early and went upt to Laurel Falls, also off of Little River Road. Usually this is packed but we were there at about 8am. The WB was aweful from in camera, so I had to process RAW. ND filter wasn't needed since it was pretty early in the forrest.

P9273058_new5s.

We went over to Bryson City NC which has the Deep Creek area on the southern edge of the Smokies. This is Thoms Branch falls and the next is Indian Creek Falls. Both are on the same trail.

P9283204_new_s.

P9283220_new_s.

• Like Like x 10
  2. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    Nice set of pictures. I've been fortunate to go to the Smokies every year for the last 22 years. I always enjoy the hikes. Last week we did Abram's Falls. Thanks for sharing these. Good job!

3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    How hard of a hike is it? Thats out in Cades cove, correct? Luckily we were there before they closed the park. We go every few years depending on what we have going on in the fall.

4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    It is about 5 miles, it is in the easy day hike book.

http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/abrams.htm

We use the book Hiking Trails of the Smokies, by Great Smoky Mountain Natural History, for our hikes. The Smokies are beautiful, I hope to go back in '14.

5. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    Abrams is out of Cade's Cove. It is rated moderate. I thought it was worth the effort, a lovely hike and the falls was lovely with great output. I will post a picture in another thread.

6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Good to now. I can't get my girlfriend to do more than 2 or 3 miles roundtrip, so I doubt I'd get here to do it.

When we went down to deep creek, we also went up to Juney Whank falls as well. Its about .3 miles straight up to the falls. We've done grotto falls in the past but Roaring Fork was packed so we skipped it.

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Really fine set, the water has a beautifully silky look. :thumbup: