Water Drops

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by RobWatson, Feb 7, 2013.

1. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Fooling around in the kitchen ... yet another rabbit hole into which much time and money has the potential to flow - high speed photography!

P2064492.

Some more ...

E-P1 Nokton 25mm F0.92 @ F2.8 with flash at minimum power off to the left. Used radio triggers.

• Like Like x 5
  2. RobWatson

With the aperture wide open and ambient light a bit too high there is some funky streak/smearing going on.

I had the flash set to fire on 2nd curtain so I surprised to see the smear - actually it does not quite make sense to me - gotta figure that out.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    These are really cool shots! :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  4. RobWatson

The Garage Studio

Got out of the kitchen and moved into the garage ...

A old gallon milk jug filled with water with a small hole poked in the bottom provided a steady low flow of water. Some wire and a bit of string got the water going to a controlled place and made some nice big and frequent drops. The string is a good target to focus on and then lift/shorten well out of frame.

T shirt on a fishing pole serves as the dark back drop!

Yongnuo 560 flash and Cactus 5 V2s triggers camera left and a mirror camera right give good light to freeze the drops. Lower power settings supposedly happen faster ...

E-P1 with Sigma 70-300 @ F8 zoom in macro mode gets good and close with some depth. A hair scrunchy and dime act as remote trigger (camera in continuous mode) ... just setup and let it run until the battery dies of the water runs out (kind of both happened).

Sort through the lot and find the keepers!

I like this one the best.

Many more here.

5. RobWatson

Sploosh!

Forget about that onesy twosy drip drop business ... loose the flood!

P2105080.

P2105053.

6. RobWatson

Robknight mentions EM5+FL600 "The E-M5 can not use 2nd curtain sync when using remote flash."

I wonder is that generally true and in particular for E-P1 and off camera flash say with radio poppers (like cactus v5)? If so that would explain my streaks that have me baffled ...