Water Drops

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by usayit, Mar 10, 2012.

1. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My first attempt at water drops. I was bored a few Sundays ago and I've been meaning to try it out myself:

1st two were early in the experimentation

then I started to play around with color

E-PL1 w/ 90mm Tamron Macro (adaptall) + 1:1 converter. Sunpak flash with modified external high powered battery pack to keep up.
    • Like Like x 8
  2. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Fantastic shots!
  3. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    The orange and blue one is purdy...
  4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
  5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Nicest water drops I've seen in a long time.

6. usayit

Thanks! Glad you all liked them. Looking forward to trying some new ideas...
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Awesome job. Reminds me of the first time I saw a really great color display - at the MacWorld Expo many years ago. It had similar droplets on it and I was stunned. Good memories!
  8. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Very nice! What did you do for the color?
  9. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Very crisp and clear. I'm sure you needed to have some patience to get this right. Doesn't look easy.:smile:

What did you used to create the drips?
  10. usayit

I used newish chrome baking grill raised off the table by 1 inch using some books. On top of it I placed a clear glass Pyrex baking pan. You can see that I accidentally captured the Pyrex branding on one of my first attempts.

By doing this, it allowed me to slide various colored materials underneath for the effect. The orange and blue one was created with one of my son's colorful children's books underneath. Other times, I had a light colored sheet of butcher paper underneath and simply started putting drops of food coloring.

Had a similar question in another forum and the attached diagram helps explain the setup. Hope its clear.

Thanks again to all.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1