1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Watching my back in the alley

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Zuishi, May 4, 2012.

1. Zuishi

Zuishi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2011
    Alley2.

These were my first images taken with the legacy Zuiko 135mm lense. The pictures came out ok, but the story behind the camera is perhaps more interesting.

The lit "greenhouse" is just over two city blocks from where I'm standing. Wanting to get the lights, the dark alley floor, and the background building all compressed I walked to the middle of a dark alley with the camera and proceeded to bury myself in the menus and settings while paying scant attention to my surroundings. The camera was new to me (a Christmas present) only a few weeks earlier so this took some concentration.

Hearing a shuffling of feet behind me I looked back over my shoulder to see a thin man standing about 50 feet off intentionally making a bit of noise so I would hear, and then calling out. "It's just me, I'm not the badguy." He shuffled up and asked what I was up to and we had an interesting conversation.

He was one of the local homeless veterans that lives nearby. I'd seen him on many occasions outside my office. He may have recognized me, I'm not sure. After expressing concern that I wasn't watching my back while standing in the dark he posted himself to my side facing back and spent the rest of my short photo session looking behind me while sharing tales of his life in the military and growing up in the midwest most of which were altogether too fantastic to be complete truth. After I was done he said good evening and took his leave.

I packed up and went home wondering what inspired a guy that usually has to beg for food and sleep in doorways to worry about the safety of a foolish man with a camera in the alley on a winter night.

Alley3.JPG

(The twin taillights are a block apart going in opposite directions)

• Like Like x 6
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Thanks for sharing both the image and the story.