Watched threads not triggering alerts

WT21

Super Moderator
For some reason, watched threads are not triggering an alert, even though I have "Receive an alert when someone.. Replies to a watched thread" checked.

Anyone else seeing this?

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
For some reason, watched threads are not triggering an alert, even though I have "Receive an alert when someone.. Replies to a watched thread" checked.

Anyone else seeing this?
It has been a problem for a long time. It all started awhile back when there was a change made. I use to report it on a regular basis but finally gave up since something was never done about it.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Anyone else seeing this?
I assume you are referring to having an email sent to you (rather than the little red notification showing up on the top right of these pages where you are here)?

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
I assume you are referring to having an email sent to you (rather than the little red notification showing up on the top right of these pages where you are here)?
I don't have email alerts turned on, I am talking about the red notification on the site.

I would like to add that if you get that notification (on the site) and you don't go to that thread you will stop receiving notifications for that thread. That is not what I am talking about tho. On a regular basis I will see a thread I have been active in on the right side and it will be bold (which indicates new post) but will have not gotten an red notification. It is completely random and happens 2 or 3 times a week for the last 3 years. I just got tired of reporting and stopped.

The conspiracy theorist in me has several theories tho.........................:hide:

Amin Sabet

Administrator
It is probably one or more of the following things:

1) Quirk related to caching
2) Bug related to one of our many software addons
3) Bug related to core forum software
4) Thread not visited after prior alert, ie software working as designed

Phocal is convinced it's not just the 4th of those possibilities, which leaves the other three. It would be pretty labor-intensive and potentially expensive for me to try and figure it out and/or pay someone else to do it, so it is unlikely to happen any time soon.

Eventually the forum will be upgraded from XF 1.x to XF 2.x, at which point my hope and intention is to use a lot fewer addons than we have right now. That will mean some loss of some current functionality/features, and I'm sure there will be some who are unhappy with the changes, but it will help to keep the site more secure and bug free.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend

Phocal is convinced it's not just the 4th of those possibilities, which leaves the other three. It would be pretty labor-intensive and potentially expensive for me to try and figure it out and/or pay someone else to do it, so it is unlikely to happen any time soon.

Eventually the forum will be upgraded from XF 1.x to XF 2.x, at which point my hope and intention is to use a lot fewer addons than we have right now. That will mean some loss of some current functionality/features, and I'm sure there will be some who are unhappy with the changes, but it will help to keep the site more secure and bug free.
After you told me about number 4 I have been very careful about this and I know it's not always the problem. It is sometimes but not always the issue. I also stopped reporting it based on our last conversation about it and I understand there is nothing you can really do because it would be labor intensive to try and get to the bottom of it.

Since I know it is an issue I will dip into the Watched Threads section now and then, especially when I don't see a notification for a thread that was really active.

WT21

Super Moderator

For me, it could be #4, because the threads I noticed this am were mostly lens image threads. I subscribed to e.g. the 9-18 image sample. I noticed it in the "recents" but I didn't have an alert. That's too bad that #4 is as designed. It means if you subscribe to an image sample, don't visit for some time, then come back, you almost have to re-subscribe to the lens image sample threads you want? (though I do understand the other side of it -- too many alerts)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom