1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Watched threads failing to create notifications

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by astrostl, Sep 16, 2016.

1. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    Howdy,

I watch a lot of threads. I get notifications for many of them, and always open every one. Yet, many of the threads "fall off the graph" and stop notifying me of updates for some reason.

Is there a specific mechanism by which I'm supposed to open these things to note to the forum app that I'm still interested?

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    As far as I know, opening everyone is the way to let the app know, but you are already doing that...

If you get an alert for a thread and don't go open that thread, you won't get another alert for that thread until you visit it. If that system is failing you, I don't know why.

As an alternative, you could routinely look at (or bookmark) Watched Threads.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    One difference here may be that, if I have 10+ notifications, I go to 'view all' and open the thread from there. Still within the notification system, but not within the popup panel.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    My understanding is that what you are describing should still work. As long as you open and view the thread after the notification occurs, you should be notified of any subsequent changes to the thread.

5. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    I believe it doesn't matter how you open them as long is the result is that they are "marked read". My notifications start coming on new posts as soon as those threads have been marked read.

Is there any chance that when you open the thread you are sometimes using a browser you are not logged in to the forums on?

6. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    Nope, authed on both. Weird.

7. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    The best method is to always remember to "Mark Forums Read".

8. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    I found this as well. Solution was to click Watched Threads button. With the new changes WT button is too far to right and disappears on my tablet. Wish it were before Buy & Sell.

9. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I have brought this up several times over the last year and honestly I just gave up. I would say that I fail to get 2-3 notifications a week, makes catching up a real pain on some threads.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I will move some things around tonight. Does anyone use "Watched Forums" or only "Watched Threads"?

11. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    only watched threads

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    Q: is the forum software already on the latest revision?

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    A: yes

• Like Like x 1
  14. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    I watch a couple forums for new threads. Edit: I just realized, you meant the menu command to show all watched forums. No, I don't use that, I just use notifications of new threads in my watched forums.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Do you use the "Watched Forums" link to watch them?

16. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    No, sorry, I misunderstood. I didn't know those Watched Forums and Watched Threads pages were there. I don't think I'd need Watched Forums, though I can imagine it's possible that someone might use it.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    How is it now? Is it okay that I changed "Unread Posts" to "Unread" and "Mark Forums Read" to "Mark Read"?

• Like Like x 2