Washington Post 2017 photo contest

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by twigboy, Sep 12, 2017.

1. twigboy

twigboy Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    Virginia
    The 2017 Washington Post Travel photo contest winners and finalists

Not that it matters in this contest of talent, but it is somewhat interesting that the first place winner used some sort of Olympus mirrorless camera, while the other brands mentioned are not m4/3.

I like the third place photo of the top three, but there are many in the mentions that I appreciate as well.

• Like Like x 4
  2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    FAKE NEWS!!! Certainly FF users will have some rebuttal along those lines right? I mean, we've all be schooled by them over on DPR that the total light of a m43 camera can't touch that of a FF camera, and that total light is crucial to making a photograph (oddly enough, I can never seem to find the "total light" setting on my cameras to adjust it. Strange...).

Just another example of how those that actually get out and shoot real images don't let their gear get in the way of getting the shot (Unless you're shooting test charts in complete darkness, and them going +6.0 EV in Lightroom, in which case the D850 is the only tool for the job and all other cameras are inferior).

Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. G3user

G3user Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2013
    UK
    True, although maybe Olympus' ISIS helped? It is hand-held, though I'm not sure of the exposure time.

Anyway, some great photos there - thanks for sharing the link.

4. twigboy

twigboy Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    Virginia
    I'd have marked this funny (you know why!) but I agree with this below much more. Especially because anyone of those in the contest are doing better than I :blush: Those people deserve the credit no matter their hardware.

5. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    You can't say that without wearing a little postage stamp on your shirt, report to your camp immediately for your signs of inferiority. Regardless of the exposure time, only One True Frame May Rule Them All. After all, it is the frame inherently superior even when compared to sensors with four times the area.