1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wasabi battery problem EM5

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by tm3, May 2, 2014.

1. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    After doing some research on extra batteries for the EM5 I ordered a pair of the Wasabis.

Unlike the OEM battery, neither Wasabi will eject from the camera. It takes some fiddling to get them out, which is unacceptable.

I am debating trying another brand like Progo, versus biting the bullet for another OEM battery. Are all the off brand batteries essentially the same, meaning the Progos are likely to not work either?

2. andix

andix Mu-43 Regular

Jun 16, 2012
    I've got three of these since 2012: CLICKY.

They're the first model to come out back in 2012, non-"decoded" - which means they come with their separate charger that is NOT compatible with the original batteries, and nor are these batteries compatible with the original charger. Don't even try. You may set something on fire.

However, for a set of cheap batteries they work just fine. Never jammed, either in the camera or the grip (OM-D E-M5). I didn't notice any significant difference in number of shots (granted I don't machinegun the camera either.)

I can't speak for the new "decoded" batteries, but I suppose they would use the same plastic mold for the casing.

3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Have you contacted Wasabi service? I had an issue with a Wasabi charger and they were very responsive and cleared the issue quickly.

Regards,

Jim

*EDIT: I have two Wasabi cells for my E-M5 and they eject just like OEM batteries.

4. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. I had decided to just return the batteries but contacting Wasabi CS first is a good idea.

5. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    follow up to my problem ......

i contacted wasabi, and am very impressed with their customer service. they seemed concerned and ended up sending me two new batteries.

unfortunately, only one of the new batteries ejects properly. the other battery, just like the first two, will not eject.

i'm going to keep what i have because i have gained a new battery and a compact charger for a lot less money than an OEM battery, but i really don't understand the problem here.

6. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I had a Wasabi swell up after about a year, and I had to throw it out for fear of it becoming permanently stuck in the camera. For the price a year of service was minimally acceptable, but a new battery should fit just fine or be returned for replacement.

7. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    Interesting, I didn't know that they could swell up.

What puzzles me is how 3 out of 4 new batteries do not fit properly.

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Quality control varies a lot with the 3rd party batteries, although I've had good luck with the Wasabi ones myself. Whatever you do, make sure to buy from somebody who does have official support. I have 6 generic batteries that have no name on them and all failed (swelled up) within 9 months of purchase.

9. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I'm using the same Wasabi batteries and much to my delight they will recharge on the Oly charger. Why, I don't know.

10. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    All of the generics will charge to some degree or another in the Olympus charger, but none will get to 100% unless you use a 3rd party charger.

11. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I had a pair of Wasabi's with charger for the Olympus E-P3 I used to own. On the 4th charge cycle one failed and at the same point the other swelled up inside the battery compartment on the camera. It took HOURS to slowly and carefully pry out without damaging the camera.

I took them to a recycling center and walked away. Immediately ordered another Olympus battery.

Against my better judgement I ordered two Halcyon's with charger for the Lumix GX7. The batteries turned out to be Power2000 branded and the charger included was the wrong one. I needed the batteries badly (everyone was out of the Lumix DMW BLG10's for the GX7 and the only option offered by Butterfly Photo was return of the whole kit for refund, no exchange or help at all.

I don't dare leave the Power2000's in the camera for long without testing to see if they come out, but as soon as the Lumix DMW BLG10's are available I'll pay the price, swallow hard, and move on.

If a third party battery damages your camera, warranty will NOT cover it.

12. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    not ejecting when new is one thing, but this "swelling up" and ruining a $1000+ camera is pretty concerning.

i have never heard of rechargeable batteries swelling in other electronic devices but i have seen regular batteries leak and swell.

having heard this, and apparently it is common, i now question why anyone would take the risk on the aftermarket batteries?

13. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    They don't swell up overnight. So long as you're not in the habit of leaving them in the camera, unobserved, for weeks at a time, you should be safe. The only time I've had trouble was when I tried (unthinkingly) to put a very swollen battery into the camera and had a hard time getting it out. Even then, it took about 10 minutes and a little bit of tape to get the job done.

Meanwhile, the price on the generic BLN-1s is between $5-$10/battery vs. $50/battery. When I traveled in Peru, I brought 4 extra batteries. There's simply no way I was spending $200 on batteries that would likely only be use a few times a year.

The only real concern I have is fire danger from rupturing batteries, but I've yet to see any reports of that.

14. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Take a battery and put it on a flat table, If you can spin it, and it doesnt stop relatively quickly, it swelled.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

15. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I purchased some a month ago. If I charge them in the Oly charger than remove them and put them in the Wasabi charger,the charge light goes out within seconds. Perhaps they have been improved.

16. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    That has been my experience as well.

17. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    OK dhazeghi that clarification is helpful. Since I plan on using the new battery only as a backup and it might stay in the camera for only a day or so at most, I will stick with it.