1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wasabi battery issues?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by silver92b, Nov 10, 2013.

1. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I wonder if anyone else has had some "issues" with the Wasabi or other after market batteries. Actually, I am not sure that the "issues" I have had were related to the battery or just coincidental. Anyway, the last time I had a problem was Friday as I was shooting with my M5 at a school event indoors. The camera "froze" on me. None of the controls would work (or the touchscreen) and I could not even turn it off! I activated the switch but nothing happened. I then decided to remove the battery from the hand grip. When I did that, the camera started working again. The switch worked, etc. I replaced the battery in the grip and all was well....

I remember having another strange camera behavior some time ago that was corrected by removing and reinstalling the battery. If my memory serves me, the battery at that time was also the Wasabi brand. I sometimes have problems with the responsiveness of the controls in my M5, but I'm not sure if it's my technique or the camera. Some times I find that I had some setting or other incorrectly set and that was the problem. Other times I cannot figure out what if any the problem might be. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Is the battery swelling?

3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Cruzan!

There's a thread on the occasional freezing issue here:

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=25878&highlight=froze

and there may be other threads that I'm not aware of.

I've had excellent service out of two Wasabi cells in my EM-5, with no lock ups, so I can't give personal experience in troubleshooting :confused:.

Sorry that I can't be of more direct help.

Regards,

Jim

4. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    If it makes a difference, I've had occasional lock-ups with the em-5 even when using genuine batteries. It's usually resolved by either turning the camera on-off, or if that fails, taking the battery in-out. Only happens occasionally, I feel it's got something to do with the camera going into sleep or stand-by mode.

5. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Mine freezes as well, no matter the battery. It's always when it goes to sleep. I turn it off/on again and all is well. I would bet that drains the battery quicker though.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

6. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Ive had trouble wit them on my lumix bodies.

7. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I bought a pair of Wasabi batteries and charger for my Pen E-P3 and the same setup for my first GH2. Of the pair for the Pen, one died on the fourth charge cycle never to take a charge or work again. The other at darn near the same time swelled up in the camera and it took two hours to pry it out (gently of course).

The pair for the GH2 gave me no trouble but I never got even 50% of the run time out of them the Lumix batteries gave. So I gave both away rather than chance using them on a project.

I'll never take a chance on a 3rd party battery again.

8. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Lisbon
    I had a couple of Wasabi's on my E-PL5 with no issues at all, but I've seen reports on the web of batteries swelling.

For my E-P5 I decided to buy a genuine spare battery, the Wasabi's had half of the performance of a genuine one (although for a quarter of the price) .

9. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I looked into the freezing issues thread and interestingly enough, I was using the Pany Leica 25mm f1.4 lens this last time... I can't remember which lens I was using the time before but nevertheless, this issue appears to be unrelated to batteries.... I wonder if I should contact the customer support of Olympus about these issues.

I will keep an eye on the batteries to make sure they don't cause a big problem with the swelling. However, it's hard to just stop using them. They are most convenient to have, especially at their low price. So far I don't think the performance of the batteries differs much from the Olympus branded ones.

10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    EM5s just do the freezing thing. Once every couple months for me, on any battery, with no clear rhyme or reason to it. Never seems to have any lasting ill effects.