1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Wasabi Batteries for OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave Jenkins, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

I've been using Wasabi batteries in my OM-D, along with the original BLN-1 that came with the camera. So far, I can't tell any particular difference, but I would be interested in learning about the experiences others have had with the Wasabis.

2. absolutic

absolutic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    You know I buy Wasabi charger-batteries combo for every camera I have. Wasabi always have the best review on amazon out of non-OEM. However, the truth is, while I love their plug-in wall chargers (unlike Olympus or Fuji or even Canon (older) OEM) their batteries just don't last as long as OEM ones. The ones in Olympus OM-D are not bad though, but still not up to OEM ones. The ones I have in my Fuji X20 are ridiculous, at most half of the life of OEM Fuji battery.

With that in mind I am yet to find a brand of 3party replacement batteries that last as much as OEM for any of my cameras. I wonder why? The cells are always made in Japan (well most of the time). What is wrong? Can someone recommend the brand of 3d party batteries that consistently last as long as OEM?

3. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    My understanding (and also some brief experience) with Wasabi is that they are one of the 'good' 3rd party battery makers. Cheaper than original, more expensive than dodgy $5 Ebay batteries. I think a good option if you want to save a few dollars but still want a reliable battery.

4. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    My Wasabi batteries last longer than the OEM one for my Panasonic G3. I like the charging light (red to green) vs the OEM charger. Overall, I would recommend them to someone else.

5. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Dave, Are you charging the Wasabis in your Oly charger or the Wasabi charger or both?

6. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    I picked up a Wasabi 2 batteries and charger set when I bought my OM-D. It was cheap, I like the travel charger, and it is nice to have two extra batteries. I charge my Oly battery in the Wasabi charger and didn't notice any issues. In my experience Wasabi batteries last a bit less than OEM battery I have, especially outside in the cold during winter. All batteries perform lower during cold weather but OEM lasted noticeably longer than Wasabi. I am very happy with them though especially for the price.

7. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

I pretty much use the Wasabi chargers, since I don't have to carry a separate cord around with me. I wonder why Olympus can't do a simple thing like built-in battery prongs? In fact, I think my wife's Olympus P&S even has the little built-in-swing-out prongs, so it's not beyond their technical capability -- just another example of their general insensitivity toward their customers in a myriad small ways. My OM-D is incredibly capable, yet incredibly frustrating to use. My G3 is maybe a bit less capable, but delightfully intuitive to use. Olympus should hire someone away from Panasonic to design their menus for them.

8. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    I bought one of those same 2-battery Wasabi kits Yefim uses and his experience with their longevity mirrors mine; the Olys last a bit longer, which really is not surprising since the Wasabis have a lower mah rating (1500 mah vs Oly's 1830 mah).

9. absolutic

absolutic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    Guys and Girls, I posted a question above in this thread, can someone recommend another brand of 3d party batteries that you guys know has quality long lasting batteries, and which are cheaper than OEM?

10. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    For which camera? The thing to look at is to make sure that the mAh is as least as high, or preferably larger than OEM. Looking at Amazon, the highest I am seeing for the EM5 is at 1600, so it won't last quite as long. This was just from a quick search though. For the G3, the Wasabis last longer (1500mAh vs 1010mAh). Other cameras may vary.

11. wclavey

wclavey Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Westley
    Absolutic, I cannot answer the question you posed... I have had a completely different real life experience. I purchased the OM-D and 2 Wasabi batteries on the same PO from Amazon... The Wasabis were cheaper than an OEM battery. The OEM battery is 1220 maH and the Wasabis are 1300 maH. I just looked... and I suspect that is why the Wasabis last a bit longer than the OEM. I charge them all in the Wasabi fold-up charger.

I, too, would be interested in any other real experience with an alternative manufacturer - - not because of any problem with the Wasabis - - they have all been great - - just because I would like a higher maH rating so that it lasts longer.

12. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    all my third party batteries eventually start to bulge, and i panic and never use them again
    some, even in same brand, last a lot longer than others before bulging

place them flat on a table top and try to spin them
    if they spin, theyre bulging
    if they barely move, theyre still flat and fine(i guess, lol)

i usually buy third party right off the bat and then buy extra genuine battery as they become readily available/ive made a payment on my cc since blowing it up from the camera purchase... lol

13. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    There is a difference between what the manufacturer rates the capacity as, and what the actually capacity is. Unless you have the tools the measure the capacity... its hard for you to know.

In fact I'm extra suspicious of manufacturers who rate the capacity significantly higher than the OEM. Good luck finding a EM5 battery that actually provides more than the OEM. I think you'll find most generic EM5 batteries only provide around 1000-1100

And for reference, here's some of my tests with some generics:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f67/my-experiences-decoded-olympus-batteries-not-good-43384/

14. elim

elim Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    California
    For what it's worth, I just took my omd with wasabi batteries to Yosemite and one charge lasted me just about as longas my oem. Plus their charger is much more convenient as it is a wall charger plus adds option of car charging. I would recommend them

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2