Wasabi batteries for E-M1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ajamils, Dec 27, 2013.

1. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    Does anybody has any experience with Wasabi batteries for E-M1? I've always read mixed reviews about them. Some people swear that they are as good (if not better) as the original battery while others say that they do not last long enough. Also, from what could gather from some of the reading online, it seems like Olympus batteries are chipped so the original charger will not charge these batteries but original can be charged in the wasabi charger?

Update: I'm going to go ahead and order Progo battery as they seem to be the only one that charge in OEM charger.

2. Musashi

Musashi Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2013
    Chicago
    I have a couple Wasabi batteries for my E-M1, and they work just fine. They charge in the Olympus charger, and the Olympus batteries seem to charge with no problems in the Wasabi charger. I highly recommend them if you're going with aftermarket batteries.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    They charge in Olympus charger? I thought that Wasabi batteries can only be charged in their own charger but Olympus batteries can be charged in Wasabi charger. Also , do the Wasabi batteries show correct battery level ?

Scribbled on Galaxy Note 3.

4. Musashi

Musashi Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2013
    Chicago
    I actually use the Wasabi charger more often (I prefer the Wasabi's flip-out plug, though I have modded the Olympus charger with an Apple plug). But I just popped in a Wasabi that just spent a few hours on the Olympus charger, and the E-M1 reads it as fully charged.

5. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I use both batteries in each other's chargers. Haven't had an issue..but I don't pay that close attention to battery performance. It's rare that I'm shooting more than 300 shot at a time, and when I do, I have 2 spares with me...if I can't get the shot I need in 900 shots, then I'd have more issues than worrying about battery life.

• Like Like x 1
  6. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    Progo work fine in both the E-M5 and E-M1. I have had conflicting reports regarding wasabi batteries so I went with progo and am quite happy with them.

7. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    I bought two EZO batteries and one has died on me within 5 months, it doesn't fully charge so only lasts approx 20 shots. Chances are I'll never buy batteries from a third party again because in the long run you get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I once heard of this guy who went through "3" Volvos. All three were lemons. Him, I understood not getting another Volvo. But I feel that your single example doesn't warrant writing off ALL 3rd party offerings. My 2 wasabi for the EM-5 works as well as the Olympus battery. BUT, Olympus will love you for paying for OEM. :smile:

9. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    I understand what your saying but unless there are reviews of different third party batteries with real world testing etc I'm once bitten twice shy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk