Was this lens a good buy?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by tdekany, May 6, 2012.

1. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    While at the Salvation Army, I tried to look it up on this forum using my iphone but could not find any info, so can anyone help me with this lens? Is there even an adapter for it for our M43? Everything was 50% off so I paid just $20 for it. I really like native lenses but the Panny macro lens has to wait due to $$$.

Thank you in advance.

7001139254_73ea2aa2ac_b.
    P1070051 by thomasdekany, on Flickr

7001139676_8557be7459_b.
    P1070052 by thomasdekany, on Flickr

7001140112_73cb38503a_b.
    P1070053 by thomasdekany, on Flickr

2. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    It appears to be an Olympus OM mount so Olympus makes an expensive adapter and there are plenty of inexpensive non-oem adapters around. BTW, the O on the mount face kind of gives it away as to the mount but a good place to sart when looking at mounts is: SLR Lens Mount Identification Guide

Kalimar lenses were much like the current phoenix/rokinon/vivitar lenses in that were usually relabeled budget lenses made for various resellers. The few I used on film cameras ranged from pretty bad to pretty good. I have no experience with the lens you bought but for $20 in good condition, how bad can it be? Buy a cheap adapter and play with it. :smile:

3. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I've never heard of the lens, but hey at least it's a macro..cheaper than anything native for that ability!

4. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Thank you for the informative explanation. Very much appreciated. I'll go and search for an adapter on e bay. Thank you again.

5. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I agree, for this much $$$, it was worth it. Thanks for replying.

6. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Would this be the right adapter?

Amazon.com: Olympus OM Lens to Micro 4/3 Four Thirds System Camera Mount Adapter, Olympus PEN E-P1, Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1, GH1, G1: Camera & Photo

7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    That one should work.

Another option you might consider is a tilt-able adapter like this one:
    tilt OM to m43 GH2 GF2 E-P1 E-P2 G1 G3 GF2 mFT adapter | eBay

Yes, it's $50 more expensive, but it would allow you to do some fun effects like this as well as take "normal" shots. Not sure you're interested, but thought I'd point it out as an option.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Even if this lens doesn't work out well for you, now having an OM mount you have access to tons of inexpensive but fabulous OM Zuiko lenses as well.

I also second the value of getting a tilt adapter. Sure is nice that we can do this these days with all kinds of lenses and no need to buy dedicated tilt lenses. Thanks to the mirrorless revolution... ;)

9. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    As to your question of whether it's a good buy, that really depends on what kind of images you can make with it. Twenty dollars seems on the high end to me for a non-manufacturer zoom lens, but not too much so. For comparison, KEH will sell you a 28-80mm they judge in "Excellent+" condition in an OM mount for $19. So really the value comes down to the condition of this particular lens and the IQ it can provide.

It seems like a decent lens to get started with using legacy glass. Be careful, though, once you start collecting and shooting with old lenses, it can be hard to stop. You may find yourself haunting the thrift stores an yard sales way more than you want. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  10. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I still haven't ordered an adapter for it. I've been busy with work. This week at some point I'll place an order for one. I can't believe how much I am into photography now that I have a G3. However, I am not sure I'll get addicted to older lenses though. I like new and AF. :biggrin:

I do love macro photography. (I know you want MF with Macro and that I don't mind)

As I am still learning, once I try this lens and if I am not satisfied, I'll get a one of those Raynox 150 for my 45-200mm lens.

My dream set for now: 7-14mm/14-140mm/100-300mm with 3 bodies.:thumbup:

I'll post pictures once I receive the adapter.

11. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Thanks Ned - I'll consider the tilt adapter.

Thank you all for replying.

12. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Well, not really a macro. Close focus, yes, but not a true macro. Almost all the zooms from that era used the macro designation, but non of them will focus to 1:2 (pretty much the minimum spec for a true macro lens), and few if any were optimized for flat field or close focusing distances.

13. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Thanks for the info!

14. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    So the adapter came in this pm, and after Photography class I took this picture just to see how the colors are. Have to use exposure comp. otherwise the pictures are way too dark.

7185626085_2a62ef5e86_z.
    P1080653 by thomasdekany, on Flickr

This one is at home, took it soon as I came home.

Most pictures didn't come out. I agree this is not a "great" or even a good lens, but maybe once I get a bit more experience with it, I'll be able to take better pictures.

7185626371_f15fdab647_z.
    P1080667 by thomasdekany, on Flickr

15. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    You may find this lens to be sharp at only a few focal lengths and not the entire range, and most likely at about f/5.6 or f/8. You may also find this to be a decent macro lens when used in the "reversed position". You can check this by holding the lens in the reverse position against the OM adapter that remains mounted to the camera body. At the 50mm focal length on the lens, and set to infinity, the distance from the front of the lens (actually the lens flange) to the subject should be about 95mm. To keep the aperture ring lever in the stopped down position, you can bend a paper match stick and insert it in the lever slot. This will temporally keep the aperture lever closed, and allowing for aperture selection using the aperture ring on the lens. Once you get the hang of it, try the lens at various focal lengths, keeping in mind focusing distance will change according to the selected focal length. If you find to be okay as a macro, you can purchase an OM lens reverse adapter, usually they are available in 49mm and 55mm, so you may need a STEP-DOWN filter ring. If you find you REALLY like it, you'll want to but another OM-m43 lens adapter to mount on the lens, this will eliminate the need for the match stick and more importantly act as a lens hood. Keep us posted.

16. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I've never played with a reverse lens, but I'm curious why you would recommend he choose a reverse adapter specifically for an OM lens (along with a second OM adapter to function as a hood). Wouldn't a more flexible solution be a 55mm reverse adapter for :43: (or a 52 or 46mm adapter along with the required step-down rings)? That way, he can reverse mount ANY lens (given he has the correct size step-up/down rings) regardless of mount.

Is the point that you want to increase the distance between the front (now back) element and the sensor? If that's the case, it seems like a set of :43: extension tubes would provide more flexibility than an OM mount.

Again, I've never done this, so I'm just curious. I'm not trying to negate or disparage the advice you have provided.

17. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Maybe I got a bad copy, but I think those Chinese tilt adapters are junk. Mine fell apart after 1 day shooting.

18. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    1. Well he already has an OM to m43 adapter, this is evident by the photo's he posted that were taken with the lens. So he would keep the adapter mounted on the camera, as it provided 25mm of extension as well as providing a "lens mount".

2. The photo of the zoom lens indicates it takes 55mm filters. 49mm and 55mm are the standard filter sizes on the OM system and these are the most common found on the adapters. The ideal reverse lens adapter would be one that accepts 55mm filters. OM lens reverse adapters are/were readily available at a very low price. This adapter now is attached to the OM-m43 adapter.

3. At this point, you have the foundation (with 25mm extension built in) to mount any lens in the reverse position by using step-up or step-down rings.
    If more extension is needed, OM extension can be inserted between the two adapters.

4. As stated in my initial post, the lens is screwed into the OM reverse lens adapter, and an OM-m43 adapter attached on the zoom lens to lock the stop-down lever and act as a lens shade.

5. Why OM adapters you ask, well the OM bayonet system has the largest opening of ALL 35mm cameras, that includes Nikon and Leica. It is the only bayonet system that went through it's entire production run, from start to finish, without any change what so ever. Having the largest opening lends it's self to more adaptability options, i.e., extension tubes.

Edit: here's a link for the OM reverse adapter
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/82186-REG/General_Brand_AV55O_Reverse_Adapter_Olympus_to.html

If you have difficulty finding these in stock, you can use a Nikon-m43 adapter and a Nikon 58mm reverse lens adapter and a 55mm-58mm step-up filter ring, all this goes between the lens and body in place of the OM adapters. The Nikon stuff is easier to find and maybe a little cheaper.

19. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I wish I had more time to spend here (I really do!) but with 2 jobs I can only "look" at the new posts lately.

I very much appreciate all the help with this lens. I now see that it isn't a "great" lens, but it at least serves me as a "Macro-ish" lens. Clearly better than my other lenses for taking close up pictures. I will work on digesting the info provided for me. Very much appreciated.

Here is a quick Jpeg I took about 20 minutes ago.

Now back to work!

7427611478_305695257f_b.
    P1090159 by thomasdekany, on Flickr

20. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    PS: this is from last weekend, playing around with different setting and raw converted to Jpeg and some PP. (not sure what I am doing but it was fun)

P1080736 by thomasdekany, on Flickr