Was This Actually A Good Find?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by SCT, Oct 13, 2011.

1. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    So, ever since I've been on a hunt for nice and valuable legacy lenses at the various pawnshops and thrift stores I come across, I found a Minolta SRT100 film camera at a thrift store. It wasn't the camera that got it sold, I saw the lens on it which is a Minolta Rokkor-X PF 50mm f/2. Together for $35.

The camera itself works flawlessly. It's a bit dusty on the eyepiece and the mirror but it can be wiped and cleaned easily. I can see no dust on any interior areas, areas that I cannot get to unless I start unscrewing it. I may buy a roll of 35mm and shoot a roll through this piece of work and see how it goes.

The lens, flawless as well! No dust on the inside, no scratch, nothing. A bit sign of age, but NOTHING MORE. Blades are clean, smooth, snappy.

Here's a cell phone picture of it:
    [​IMG]

Was it a good deal? I especially ask this because I found this on ebay as I was at the store looking up the possible value
    Minolta MC Rokkor-X PF 1:2 F=50mm lens | eBay
    I know that has got to be OUTRAGEOUS and then some. I found others, the same camera and lens combo, for about $70 or so on there.

2. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I did a pawn/thrift shop run the other day covering 3 stores. There was nothing at all remotely as nice as what you found. So yeah, good deal :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    looks like a GREAT deal to me-- and now you also have a nice film SLR you can play around with!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    If you'll use it, you got a good deal. You can't use one person's insane listing to find values. How does someone still have an account on eBay with a 66% rating?

Here's some completed listings. Green prices were sold. Red prices were not (usually because the price was too high).
    rokkor 50mm 1 2 | eBay

It certainly looks nice. Time to get an adapter and start shooting.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    I have an adapter for the lens already as I have a Minolta 50mm Macro f3.5, 50mm f2, and now a Rokkor X 50mm f2.

I compared the two 50mm together, the Rokkors glass seems to be more vivid and clear. The non rokkor 50mm has a tint of blue in the glass.

Once the weekend comes and I get my car running again, I'll take some shots with them :) I'll take better pictures of the SLR later today and what needs cleaning...

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    on a related note, do camera makers ever look at camera forums and see how many photographers fetish-ize these old cameras. Why is no one making a DSLR that looks like an old SLR? The first one that does gets my money. The Silver limited edition K-5 was a step in the right direction, but it still looked like a modern interpretation. Maybe Fuji will be the one to do it with their coming mirrorless camera.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I had this exact same combo! Excellent package, both camera and lens!

• Like Like x 1
  8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    That's one of the reasons I love my E-P1 so much. People often think it's an old film camera. There's something nostalgic/retro about the shape that I really like. I'm not into modern streamlined stuff - one reason I dislike the look of the NEX - that and the huge lenses.

9. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    I can't seem to find a sample thread for the Minolta Rokkor-X PF 50mm f/2... I have taken a shot or two with it on my EPL1. I may like it as much as my Konica 40/1.8. The focus ring is smooth as ever. I'm at work right now. But I took a little down time to take some nice pictures of the camera and the lenses. I'll upload them by tonight once I get home.

That's why I like my EPL1! Besides the stuff it can do. The newer PEN models look so.... blank? And the NEX does look ridiculous to me. I like bobblehead toys, the small body and a big ass head that bobs around. But not a bobblehead camera (small body, lens look huge as heck on it).

10. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    That ebay seller's prices are ridiculous. I think he just has those listings up hoping that he'll catch an unsuspecting customer once in a while. He's about to lose a ton of money on listing fees, when all of those expire. Or, maybe he's a drug dealer or something that likes cameras, and he needs a way to launder money/show losses. Because a photo store making 2-4 sales a year can't survive on its own.

Overall, you got a solid deal. $30 is about what I'd pay for an f/2 50mm. Adorama is selling an excellent condition 50mm f/1.4 for $100:
    Buy Used Fixed Lenses | Adorama, the Photography People
    Notice that they have a 50mm f/2 listed in excellent condition, for $55. Then again, buying from Adorama and buying from a thrift shop are two different things. Adorama checks for proper operation, fungus, oil, haze, marks, etc. before they sell, so that check alone could be considered worth $20. The camera body

Throw a battery and a roll of film in the camera, and go shoot a roll of film; it will make you a better m4/3 photographer. Go buy whatever your local pharmacy is selling cheap; chances are, if it's store brand, it's either Fuji (made in Japan) or Kodak. Either film is just fine.

11. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    It doesnt need a battery. Click! Slide! Repeat. I've been wanting to learn how to develop my own film anyways. When I used my dads old Nikon, we just took it somewhere to get it developed 4x6. Nonetheless, I will use it at least once. Maybe more, Im sure theres qualities beside a roll of negatives that todays cameras can't replicate.

12. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The meter needs a battery.

• Like Like x 1
  13. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I bought an old Oly film camera -- the battery cost more than the camera.

14. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    LOL! I had nearly the same experience-- got a Zenit 19 with two good lenses for 12 euros, then it cost 7.50 for new batteries-- I actually hesitated for a minute until I realised it will cost more than that to shoot/develop one roll of film. Still it is pretty cool-- top of the line for Zenit, so I guess it was worth paying 2/3 as much for batteries as for the camera.

15. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Was it an OM-1, or some other SLR that used a mercury-cell battery? If so, you should have bought the modern-day replacement Weincell; I used them in my Nikkormat and in my OM-1 with great success.
    990120 Wein Cell PX625 / PX13 Button Battery, 1.35 volts Zinc-Air.
    $4.50 with free shipping. Even at my local photo store, the Weincells only cost $8-$12. If you paid less than that for an Olympus OM-1/2/3/4 then you got an amazing deal; don't let the once-a-year cost of a $10 battery deter you from using it!

If it's a rangfinder or point and shoot that uses CR123 or conventional button batteries: again, these cameras don't suck up batteries like our digital ones do. A battery in a film camera will last you a nice long time. Especially if you find something like the Olympus Infinity, if it has the fixed, fast aperture lens, get out and test it!

16. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    I need to find where the battery goes then. That's what I had thought, that it may need a small battery for something...

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If the meter readings are fine, then you won't need to replace this battery. It's just a little mercury battery, and it lasts a long time. Although, this is the first thing to look out for with an old camera like this, is the condition of this battery. If anything's going to be corroded or non-functioning in this camera, that would probably be it.

This is the only battery the SRT-100 has, everything else is fully manual. That's one thing I loved about this camera, and why I held onto it for so long.

18. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    I've got basically the same combo, but with Rokkor PG 50mm/1.4.

It was my dads camera and I used it quite a lot about 15 years ago but it's been stored since then. pulled it out a few months ago after getting into m43 and am really happy with the lens, but I think I stuffed the camera. the winder arm and shutter release locked up after a few test shots. nice paperweight though.

19. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    Here are some candies for your eyes, as promised...

6243164008_953f323db6_b.
    6242648477_0bc600d770_b.

Then I took some pictures of my Ferrari lego with the Rokkor-X 50mm f/2 on my EPL1...
    6243164110_c68e2fb33c_b.
    6242648579_bddf5b67ee_b.

And for shits and giggles.... may be a bit blurry or out of focus. I didn't have my tripod. This was shot with my Konica 40/1.8 with the pinhole art mode.
    6243164078_d1b88022b7_b.

• Like Like x 3
  20. aw614

aw614 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2011
    looks good, I still have mine in good condition, with some weird dark spots in the viewfinder probably from sitting in my dad's closet for so long. The 50 F/2 looks like half the size of the 1.4 mine came with.