1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Was testing new mic, ended up recording evidence instead.

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by KBeezie, Sep 13, 2016.

1. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Video itself is far from decent (IS turned off because I was trying to avoid that jello-wobble effect, but it would have been better had I bought my monopod with me), however I was mainly out trying out the Rode Stereo VideoMic (SVM) after I got off of work (which was after 9:30PM).

First thing I do is notice some argument so I'm just casually getting out my camera about 20-30 feet away, which no one seems to care, mounting the bracket and what not. And seems like the five or so minutes I recorded was a bit of fighting before the police showed up.

The woman in the black dress yelling at the end ended up being arrested because shortly after I turned off my camera, she swung and elbowed an officer in the face and he quickly restrained and cuffed her.

I ended up copying the video onto one of their laptops when I mentioned I had it on video and they were trying to figure out who did what.

The Dead Kitten (yes it actually says that on the label) wind jammer seemed to work very well as it was rather breezy tonight. I knew it wasn't a shotgun mic like the Rode VideoMic Pro I had in the back (currently checked out from the school as I don't own that one), so I expected to pick up a bit more ambient/environmental noise, just how clearly was what I wanted to know.

A little later in a less busy part of town I got a very brief clip capturing the ambience of water spraying on the road/car with a car passing by.

• Like Like x 2
    • Wow Wow x 1
  2. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Another run with the Rode Stereo VideoMic, this time with musician I know outside of Rosa Parks circle playing off a pair of amplifiers against downtown traffic.

Mic was set to -10dB pad with the camera set to 'standard' volume in the custom menu. To my ears (well with the hearing aids in) the amps were pretty loud.

For comparison this was with the Rode VideoMic Pro (not stereo, shotgun mic) at the end of last month.

• Like Like x 1