Was sold on the 40-150 pro...but

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by DL Photo, Mar 19, 2015.

1. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    I almost pulled the trigger and bought the 40-150 pro lens this morning through the Olympus store. But then I though perhaps I should see it and play in person.

Off to the store I went after work.

Well, I moved to m43 to get away from the dslr scene because I got tired of carrying around the heavy camera and larger lenses. My E-M1 with the 12-40 is well balanced and comfy.

Did not realize the the 40-150 pro was that large.....even though it's small as far as an equivalent 70-200 pro lens goes. Still did not feel well balanced on the E-M1. I think the grip may help with this....but then I'm back in dslr style world again.

My main reason for having a telephoto is taking pictures of my son playing soccer, widlife and birds. This lens would be good for that but a little short even with the converter.....so not ideal. It also may not be fast enough for indoor sport such as my daughters basketball, volleyball and swimming.

So, guess if I don't go for this lens, my choices are the 75-300ii for outdoor and the 75 1.8 for longer indoor activities.

Does this sound right or am I crazy here?

• Like Like x 1
  2. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Sounds like exactly my thoughts about 40-150/2.8 and 42.5/1.2 Nocticron. Plus the price tag..
    Eventually, I got 35-100/2.8 for about $700 and call me happy camper(hiker) now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    Appreciate both comments/link.

I have looked at the 35-100. Beauty of a lens. Just too short for most outdoor sport....especially soccer.

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Why would you need a 100-300mm if you were good with the 40-150mm range on the other lens? Snag a 45-175mm X.

6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    The 75-300 has more reach but is a lot slower and if you really need to go beyond the 210mm that you could get with the TC then you'd need a very fast speed, maybe a monopod. On a cloudy afternoon you could not have enough speed to use it with good results for sport. Quality should be a lot different especially on the long end.
    Indoor: is 75 enough? Do you like primes? You get one extra stop and half of light, but less options, especially if you cannot move around much.

If you should ever take both lenses you are almost back to the same weight (730 vs 1070 kg). OTOH you have the option to save a lot of weight.

If you can clearly distinguish between the two scenarios then your alternative makes sense. What are you missing more with the 40-150 that you have now?

7. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    If you want to do decent sports, especially indoor sports, there really isn't a good alternative. The 75 may work, but in a limited way as it gives no flexibility. The 75-300 gives little separation between athlete and background in comparison.

I am continually confused by the complaints of the 40-150 being large. While I don't have one yet (use the 43 50-200) it is a specialty lens and if you need the speed, you need it. There is no substitute for fast aperture, long lenses and sports. It is substantially smaller than a Nikon or Canon 70-200, with more effective range. I completely understand wanting a small system, which is why I'm here, but small has limits as does physics.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    It almost seems to me that people are wanting to take every single lens for their systems with them all the time. The 40-150/2.8 is a specialty lens and you take it when you need it. People who carry DSLRs do the same thing. they carry monsterous backpacks with every lens they have because they think that if they don't they will run into a situation where they will need it.

As jeffryscott stated, there really is no good alternative to the 40-150/2.8, except for maybe the P35-100/2.8. If you need the fast glass and the peformance, then you need it....but only take it when you need it, not eveyrwhere. You can take the 40-150/4-5.6 everywhere if that is what you are looking for.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    You have the EM1, why not look at some of the 4/3 glass. Get the 35-100 f/2 and the 150 f/2. Both can be used with the EC-14 & EC-20 to give you more reach when needed. Either can be picked up used for around the same price as the 40-150 Pro.

11. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    Thanks for all of the comments and advice. This is the reason that I joined this forum.

I had the Canon 100-400 for outdoor sports in the past. The reach was fantastic. The 70-200 was my lower light, faster zoom. Did manage with most indoor sport with that zoom. I have been using the 45 1.8 for indoor sports and it has worked well, albeit a little short.

I think I need to appreciate that to go quality, the 40-140 pro is my best bet. The TC will help with some reach.

Gryphon, you are correct. It's not a take everywhere lens. I still have the smaller 40-150 for travel if I need.

I will keep my eyes open for a refurbished unit.

Thanks again all and will post pics once I have this lens.

12. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I made the same decision when the PRO came out. I just couldn't find a use for it that wasn't offset by the size/weight/price.

13. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    Well, finally pulled the trigger and purchased a refurbished 40-150 pro this morning. I checked my previous outdoor soccer / sports pics and the majority were shot at f2.8 (with the 70-200) to f5.6 (100-400). The thought of being able to shoot at f2.8 again or f4 with the 1.4x extender is too much to pass up.

As Gryphon mentioned, this is not a take everywhere lens but more a specialty lens.

Can't wait for this beauty to arrive. Will post pics when I have the lens.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I was really surprised how much I enjoy this lens. I think you will be as well. Can't wait to see what you produce with it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    I think you'll love the 40-150. It is tack sharp and focuses lightning fast.

Yes, the grip (or -as mentioned - at the very least an L-plate if you need one) will make the overall feel more balanced on the EM-1. However, even with a grip it is still a pretty light setup for what it is. My wife complained about the weight when we first got it, but after using it for a while and she saw how good it is, she completely forgot about the weight, as well as her old 75-300 mk1. (And she's pretty stubborn when it comes to complaining, and fortunately not reading this).

• Like Like x 1
  16. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Yes, it's definitely not a "take everywhere" lens but in certain occations there is not other options really - and it does its job very well. I think I love it even more than the 12-40mm... :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    For the price of the std 40-150, it's worth having just for those times that you might need the reach, but don't want the weight or space burden of the Pro. Used ones have been selling for under $100 recently and if you already have one its not worth selling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    To be honest I wish I could manage with the standard, slow 40-150mm but I bought the f/2.8 for its larger aperture. And despite the current size I sometimes wish it was f/2 since some of the places I shoot at isn't really "filled with light". Sometimes there's just no substitute for faster lenses.

But... If you can get by with a slower zoom there's plenty of options and no need to buy the most expensive lenses. I love my 100-300mm too and it's pretty darn compact. Too bad it doesn't focus as quick as the PRO lenses though.

19. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I'm actually amazed at how small it is, given its range and speed.

Compared to the Panasonic 100-300, it's only 35mm longer and 240g heavier. I never found that lens as "too big" (although it definitely was bigger), especially when using it on a GH3/4. This now has me interested in it...

20. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I agree ;
    I think the complainers do not realise the niche this lens inhabits, and how compact it is ... for what it is.
    I'll stick with the slower focusing and overall less sharp pair of old 14-54 and MkI 40-150 from the DSLR days if I really need the zoom and aperture, but that's budget for ya!

• Like Like x 1